SAFER SKINCARE FAQ
Don’t forget – healthy skin isn’t just what you put on the outside – or in.
It’s a combination of healthy living, for your inside & out!
Contact me if you want a mug!
Q: Why Beautycounter?
Have you looked up the products you’re using on Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database? Their free app is amazing, you can use your camera to scan bar codes and check the safety of products! I bet you’ll be surprised to learn what’s in items you use and how they harm your health! From endocrine hormone disrputers, to heavy metals, and scientific links to cancer you’ll find it all in the products most people use day in and day out.
The US does a TERRIBLE job of monitoring the toxicity in our hygiene products. Even though our skin is our largest organ an 70% of the chemicals we put on it are absorbed into our blood stream within 26 seconds. The EU has banned 1400 chemicals from hygiene products. The US? 30.
Think about that for a second. Think about your loved ones health.
Years ago I switched over most of my hygiene routine in a series I called Skintervention. At the time, the only products I was aware of were the department store brands that I’d come to love – full of toxins – or very natural brands that meant I was rubbing (stinky) fermented cod liver oil on my face. But, considering the lengths I went to live a healthy lifestyle for the sake of my health (including autoimmune diseases which are linked to environmental triggers) I was willing to make the sacrifice of lovely scents and textures to save my health. I saw improvement in my skin when I switched, but still had bouts of adult acne when I’d eat inflammatory foods or menstruate (from hormones). I also was still using a few brands of toxic beauty products because I just couldn’t find anything to replicate them that was more natural.
When I heard about Beautycounter I couldn’t believe that something could genuinely feel like something I could buy at Sephora but be made with non-toxic, real ingredients that wouldn’t cause my body harm.
Like, literally. I didn’t believe it. I refused to try it for months.
But, when I realized my skin was starting to show wrinkles I started looking for a more natural alternative than the mainstream anti-aging products. I reached out to my safer skincare mentor, Liz, and asked her what products she would recommend. She immediately told me I needed to give Beautycounter a try.
So I researched it. I ended up choosing the Countertime Rejuvinating Collection to try – my favorite products of the set are the Rejuvinating Radiance Serum and the Rejuvinating Night Cream. I also love the Rejuvinating Toner Pads. I choose these products because they were 3rd party tested to show results!
It was pricey, but offered the same quality as department store without the toxic ingredients. “It’s my face, if there’s a place to splurge in the budget – this is it.” So I gave the Countertime/Rejuvenating products a try.The Serum and Pads both naturally exfoliate with fruit acid, which is less abrasive on the skin, but the Vitamin C allows for evening skin tone, brightening, and penetrating the skin to ensure deep hydration. I find them to be highly effective!
Not only can I now give my own testimonial about reduction in wrinkles as well as improvement in inflammation of my face – including significant reduction in adult acne. After learning more about the brand and how much toxins affect health – I’m dedicating part of our (new) blog’s mission to ensuring people are Healthy on the Inside & OUT!
Q: But I LOOOOOVE the products I currently use. What would you suggest I replace [X] favorite product with?
Q: I’m terrible with make-up but want to learn. Where do I start?
Check out my YouTube channel – TONS of tutorials as well as educational information on how to be Healthy Inside & Out!
Q: What are your favorite BC products?
You can join my Healthy Inside & Out Facebook Group where I share more information about safer skincare as well as post selfies and detail the specific products I used that day. In general, here’s a list of my absolute-can’t-live-withouts.
- Volumizing Mascara + Tarte Lash Enhancing Primer (see my how to get Beast Mode Lashes here)
- Matte Bronzer No. 1 + Blush (I love the Bloom/Tulip and Whisper/Tawny duo and the palette blushes)
- Twig Lip Sheer and/or Buff Lip Gloss
- Lip Shine or Lip Conditioner when I just want hydration and shine
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer in No. 1 (the natural zinc in this has SPF and fights acne!) WITH the
- Mattify Skin Finishing Powder (“sets” the dew skin and gives air-brushed look)
- Concealer Pen on blemishes and under eyes if I want extra coverage
[note: the Flawless in 5 set is the best deal on make-up at Beautycounter, you get 6 items about 25% for a 5-minute-face]
My Skincare & Body Routine
- Charcoal Bar to wash my face (only on days I shower)
- Body Wash in Citrus Mimosa
- Remove make-up wiping off with a dry towel using Beautycounter Baby Soothing Oil
- Use Toner Pads on any “problem” areas or overall (save it between the lid and air tight seal)
- Apply Rejuvenating Countertime Radiance Serum
- Sometimes an eye cream – I like Countermatch for dark or puffy under eyes and Rejuvenating for fine lines
- Once face is dry and rested, apply Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer + Mattify Skin Finishing Powder then rest of makeup
- Before bed, use other side of the Toner Pad used in the AM then apply Night Cream (right over face with make-up on)
- Once or twice a week use No. 1 Brightening and/or combination of No. 3 Balancing face masks
- For my hair, I use the Smooth & Control shampoo and conditioner and then also use the Repair & Nourish about once a week. When my hair is wet I spritz on the Sea Salt Spray (I am OBSESSED with this stuff) and then apply the Hair Oil from the Smooth & Control line into the ends, scrunching up. This is ALL I do to my curls and it works GREAT!
- In the winter my skin can get dry, I really like the Body Butter for elbows and heels and Rosemary Citrus Oil (which is also a natural bug repellent) all over to hydrate
My routine is:
- Shower (about 3 times a week) – use the charcoal cleansing bar on my face and body wash on my body. I also shampoo with the Smooth & Control line.
- Every morning – I remove my make-up with the soothing baby oil rubbed into my skin then wipe off excess with a dry towel, then I use half of a toner pad (to save money, I find a whole one isn’t needed) on my “problem areas”, then use a pump-and-a-half of the radiance serum on my entire face.
- Before bed – I put on the rejuvenating night cream on my entire face – yep, don’t even remove my make-up! No need when they’re clean ingredient based!
- Once or twice a week I’ll also use a mask (I love the No. 1 Brightening for regular use and the Charcoal No. 3 Balancing Mask as a spot treatment or if acne flares). After the pores are detoxified they’re ready for premium hydrating moisturizer, so I recommend your moisturizer and/or a face oil after.
- Kids Bath Collection (fantastic set and very affordable)
- Protect Stick Sunscreen (face size)
- Matt uses the Daily Shampoo & Charcoal Bar in his showers
- Cole uses the Charcoal Bar + Countermatch (plant-based BioMimic technology adapts to each person’s skins needs – perfect for hormonal changes!) to keep his skin clear
- Finn uses the Baby Soothing Oil on his dry skin that can be eczema-prone if we don’t follow dietary standard (i.e. if he eats ketchup)
Do you use other products, that aren’t Beautycounter?
Yes. The exceptions to BC are as follows:
- Jane Iredale Powder Foundation (rarely any more, this is just for when I want really full coverage)
- Tarte Multipleye Lash Primer (this is critical for how healthy, long and voluminous my lashes have become)
- Pravana Nevo Super Shape Hair Spray
- Sparkoal Beauty Natural Teeth Whitening Toothpaste & whitening powder made from activated charcoal
I am super happy to report that my entire routine is now completely non-toxic… except one item. I’m STILL in search of the perfect deodorant, unfortunately everything I’ve tried so far either irritates my skin or makes me feel like a dirty hippy. I’ve actually been using the No. 3 Balancing Mask on my pits once a week and going mostly deodorant free entirely [I know, weird]. Or, I use store bought when I really need coverage. I can’t wait to see what BC’s deodorant will be like (anticipated in 2018)!
Q: I want to make the switch to safer skincare but am on a budget, what do you recommend getting first?
Look-up your most toxic products on EWG’s Skin Deep Database. Then prioritize swapping out as things either run out, or based on what’s the worst rated and most toxic product you use.
Want something more specific recommended? Choose what matters most to you from the below:
For $50 – My “Worst Offenders” Immediate Replacements:
Anti-bacterial soap and hair sprays (which you literally spray into your face and open oraficies) are often the WORST items in people’s daily routines. I recommend replacing them immediately with two of Beautycounter’s most affordable and best products.
For $66 – For the Family:
Anyone can use this shampoo, conditioning & body wash set – it’s affordable and smells fun & fresh! My boys love it and I’ve heard lots of moms use it too! The baby soothing oil is one of my FAVORITE and most versatile products at BC, it’s everything from deep hydration on my winter elbows to soothing discomfort when Finn’s eczema flares to my daily make-up remover. It’s ah-maze-ing!
- Winter Jewel Palette ($58) or Ocean & Pacific Palette ($58)
- Twig Lip Sheer ($30)*
- Dew Skin ($45)* + Translucent Skin Finishing Powder ($37)
- Lengthening or Volumizing Mascara ($29)*
- OR get it all discounted in the Flawless in 5 (5 minute face) customized for you!
It’s an investment to replace ALL of your make-up, but this it highly-pigmented, high performance make-up that can be (and has been) compared to the likes of the top department store brands, winning Allure’s Best of Beauty Award 4 years running*! I happen to agree with Allure, and have included all 3 of their selected award-winning items in this recommended “package.”
If you only had
$126 $111 to spend, what would you buy?
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar ($24)
- Texture Sea Salt Style Spray for hair ($26) – after all you are spraying it AT your head!
- Protect Stick Sunscreen (face, $18) – because sunscreen is one of the most toxic products
- Volumizing mascara ($29)
- Band of Beauty Membership – $29 gets you a free gift with purchase PLUS 15% of each order in future product credit and free shipping (yep, buy all this and you’ll then get $14.55 off your next order with BoB Membership)
- Whatever thing I’m offering as a monthly special! Make sure to join the Facebook Group to never miss an offer, but each month I have a special sale that I offer my clients and if you’re buying a large order I bet you’ll qualify for something good! At the very least, e-mail me and I’ll send you a sample because of something you want to try!
Band of Beauty
Don’t forget to add Beautycounter’s “Band of Beauty Membership” for ($29), which is essential their version of a loyalty program similar to Amazon Prime. With membership you’ll receive a gift from Beautycounter for signing up for the annual membership and you’ll also get 15% of every order in future product credit PLUS free shipping over $100 for that full year. Just add it to your cart! If you forgot, call customer service and they’ll likely be willing to add it on and still honor it for you, even after you place your order.
Q: Speaking of Loyalty Program, do you have one?
Yes! You get $10 Cash from me for every friend you refer when they place an order and a FREE ITEM from me when you make 5 orders over $35 (I customize for each individual based on your prior purchases). All you’ve got to do is fill out THIS FORM to join the program!
Q: How do you remove the mascara?!
“I love the way it stays on and lengthens my lashes but for the life of me it’s so hard to take off. Any suggestions?”
A: Use oil! I use the Soothing Baby Oil and a dry washcloth. Just give yourself a batman mask (I use two pumps to remove the make-up on my face) and it wipes right off with a dry towel! I posted a video of me doing it in this Facebook Live if you want to see, join the group and then it’s the last 2 minutes. Or, Beautycounter’s Instant Make-up Remover is super gentle and both dermatologist and opthamologist tested and approved!
Q: What are the differences between Beautycounter’s skincare lines?
How do I choose what’s right for me?! Beautycounter has THREE skincare line options:
The essentials line easiest and most simple skincare line best for people with normal skin types most affordable and vegan/gluten-free
Key Ingredients: coconut oil, witch hazel, green tea extract, aloe (Vitamins B, C and E)
- Nourishing Cream Cleanser
- Nourishing Cream Exfoliator
- Nourishing Rosewater Mist
- Nourishing Eye Cream
- Nourishing Day Cream
The adaptive line, Bio-Mimic technology adapts to your skin’s exact needs all-natural (plant derived), vegan, preservative-free, and gluten-free – best for people with combination skin, hormonal or other changes in skin
Key ingredients: Shea Butter (Vitamin E), oils from plums and olives to moisturize, and Salicylic acid to even skin tone
- Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion
- Countermatch Eye Rescue Cream*
- Countermatch Recovery Sleeping Cream
- Countermatch Intense Moisture Serum
The anti-aging line – curbs signs of aging with jambu extracts for firmer skin with a brighter, more even complexion; each item in this line has had 3rd party tests to prove performance
Key ingredients: fruit extract and oil (antioxidants in Vitamins E and C), Jambu extract, Algae extract, caffeine (eye cream)
- Cleansing Balm
- Rejuvenating Face Cleanser
- Rejuvenating Eye Cream*
- Rejuvenating Radiance Serum*
- Rejuvenating Night Cream*
- Rejuvenating Day Cream
- Rejuvenating Toner Pads*
The PLUS collection – targeted spa-like ADDITIONS to your above routine
No 1 – Brightening Mask*, Mist & Oil*
Vegan, gluten-fee, soy-free
Brightening Face Oil won Allure Magazine’s Best of Beauty 2017 award
Third party testing results said skin looked brighter, softer, smoother, and rested/refreshed.
Best for: all skin types; those will dull, uneven skin-tone or scarred/damaged skin
Key Ingredients: Vitamin C, avocado oil (Vitamins B, D, and E) and Lime extract
No 2 – Plumping Mask, Mist & Oil
Mask & Mist contain gluten; face oil does not
Third party testing results said skin felt soft, moisturized, smoother, and more supple.
Best for: all skin types; those wanting firmness or elasticity
Key ingredients: kaolin clay, peony, rye seed extract, and Argan oil
No 3 – Balancing Mask*, Mist & Oil
Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
Also includes Charcoal Cleansing Bar*
Third party testing results said skin complexion clarified with refined, smoothed with excess oil removed and pores detoxified
Best for: all skin types; those concerned with acne and oily skin
Key Ingredients: charcoal (draws out impurities), witch hazel green tea extract, salicylic acid, lactic acid
*Stacy’s Picks – my favorite recommendations
What is the difference between the full-size and the Spa Sets?
The full-size products are individual products whereas the Spa Sets are smaller versions perfectly sized for trial and travel.
What is the difference of BC+ Facial Mists and the Nourishing Rosewater Mist?
Rosewater Mist’s key function is hydration, whereas the BC+ Facial Mists deliver both hydration and treatment in one. You may still use the mists the same way, to prep the skin, set makeup and refresh skin the entire day.
Don’t forget the INSIDE part!
Everyone’s always looking for a quick fix. I get it. I’m human too. But you didn’t get “unhealthy” overnight, and healing won’t happen by simply purchasing new make-up, either. Being healthy inside & out is an ENTIRE LIFESTYLE. Here are some of the other critical components that help me feel my best.
Sleep & Reduced Stress
If you google “paleo sleep” you’ll find countless articles, with medical research citations, touting the importance of sleep. You may not fully factor in the value of hormonal reset and cellular regeneration, but that literally means your body fixing itself. If you aren’t sleeping, that luggage you’re carrying under your eyes won’t go anywhere. And you will age more quickly. That’s a real thing!
Have you ever noticed how much more aged and less lively presidents look as they leave office versus coming in? That’s what 4 to 8 years of chronic stress (i.e. making decisions that affect a nation) and lack of sleep will do to you. I’m a terrible culprit myself at this, but I always look and feel my best when I take things in stride, slow down my life, and get good rest.
Broth & Vital Proteins
I often soap box about the importance of nutrient-dense foods, but the one thing I find the absolute most beneficial to my skin health is drinking broth. Rich in micronutrients and collagen, the easily digestible amino acids made from the bones of healthy animals help my body feel it’s best – from the inside out. As we noted on our post about gelatin and it’s benefits:
- helps tighten loose skin
- helps improve cellulite
- helps joint recovery
- supports skin, hair and nail growth
- improves digestion
- pure protein
- promotes relaxation and a good night’s sleep
- can help heal your gut
As you can see, gelatin (essentially the dehydrated collagen of broth) has a lot of specific benefits to your appearance, as well as health. I’ve noticed drastic improvement in my skin, hair, and nails since consuming it regularly and cannot encourage you enough to do it, too.
Vital Proteins are collagen peptides, they are a higher quality than standard store bought. They contain more of the healing protein and amino acid content per serving. Read my detailed post here, which also includes an exclusive coupon code (VPA-0626-97BR1-LYIQ) for 10% off + free shipping (also available in the sidebar of the blog)!
As I noted in my review of The Paleo Approach, following an AIP diet and then reintroducing foods has been a savior to my health. In fact, in my latest health post I attribute it to the reason my Hashi’s is without symptoms. More than that, it has also helped clear up my skin for the first time in my life. As a teen I went on prescription medication to help with cystic acne that affected me well into my 30’s. It wasn’t until I started truly learning about my own food intolerances with AIP that I have been able to heal my skin. Of course, eating a micro-nutrient-rich diet full of antioxidants is also fantastic for the skin… and that’s the definition of AIP – win win!
Q: Why did you become a Beautycounter consultant?
Because I effing love the stuff and want every person in the world to throw out their toxic hygiene products and replace them with something safer. Since BC was the absolute best performing of all the better beauty products I’ve tried, I’ve become obsessed. I’ve become that obnoxious person telling everyone I know… kind of like I did when I started Paleo!
As a buyer of the products I was only helping myself and the boys. As a consultant, I’ve already helped thousands of people because of the customers and team members who are sharing this message with friends and family!
But seriously, I know people have their own theories about MLM, pyramid-schemes, and network marketing. The fact is, Beautycounter is no different than any other affiliate program I could use as a blogger. I’ve chosen to take this mission on because it matters to me. I go into detail about that in this post. You can read all of my “real beauty” related posts here.
Can I join your team; will you be my mentor?
Yes! Team Healthy Inside & Out is on a mission to help people remove toxins from their lives and I’d love to have you join me on this mission! If it’s something you’re considering please contact me so we can chat to see if it’s the right fit for you and we can figure out the best way to set you up for success. There’s more info in the table below, but check out what being a consultant entails here.
What is the difference between being a Customer, Client, Consultant, Host, or Member?
|This term simply means customer. If you’ve ever bought BC products, but never done any of the other things, this is what you are!||This is a customer (client) that hosts a “social.” There are unique hostess rewards offered by BC headquarters (in addition to all of my personal specials!) that hosts are eligible for depending on the sales of the social. Think of this like a tupperware party, but for safer skincare to help your friends and loved ones make over their makeover.||This is what Band of Beauty (BoB) “membership” customers are called. BoB is just like Amazon Prime or a frequent buyer program ($29 annually). The advantage is a gift with purchase, free shipping on orders $100 or more, and 15% of every order becomes “product credit” to use on your next order. So it’s like 15% off always!||Consultant (or affiliate) is someone who signs-up to spread the message of safer skincare by selling the products. Since buyers buy directly from BC HQ this simply means sharing links, hosting parties, or embracing this mission in the way that moves you. (like me, I’m a consultant!)|
|Ready? Place an order HERE.||Want to learn more about being a host? E-mail me!||Sign-up for your annual BoB membership HERE.||Thinking that you might want to turn your love of BC into a job? Sign-up HERE or e-mail me!|
Alright, I’m ready… what do I do?
- Join my Facebook group so I can keep in touch with you about sales, specials, and news.
- Follow the links in the above table to either place an order, host a social, become a member, or join as a consultant!