Know how you sometimes just get weird, nostalgic cravings out of now where? No? I’m just weird? Well, you’ll thank me for it once you try these Sloppy Joes! I used our Fauxmato sauce to make it nightshade-free in ONE PAN (because it’s day 47 million and 8 thousand 72 of quarantine and we are ALL over dishes). It worked perfectly!
The boys had never had it, heard of it, no idea what it was, what it would be like. I kept playing Adam Sandler’s song, “Sloppy Joes, Sloppy Sloppy Joes” and dancing around while I made it. It’s the kind of goofy parenting that instantly insights eye rolling and heavy sighing. But, we can see the smiles just below the resting-frown-faces and know they’ll remember it later in life.
Once served the table was silent and eyes got big with happy tummies! The boys lost their minds! You can see the video of my original Sloppy Joes recipe here. Sadly, I didn’t capture any of the dance party.
- 1 Tbsp Balanced Bites Trifecta Seasoning , divided (or salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
- 1/2 Cup diced sweet onions (yellow or vidalia preferred)
- 1 Cup mire poix, diced carrots, celery, onions
- 16 oz mushrooms, diced (baby bella or a mixed blend preferred)
- 2 1/2 lbs ground beef or meat of choice (we use 2 1.33lb packages of organic, grass-fed beef for a 90/10 ratio)
- 2 Cups Fauxmato sauce or unsweetened tomato sauce of choice
- 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Ensure all vegetables are diced small, so that they cook evenly and blend into the ground meat. Heat over medium to caramelize onions, mire poix & mushrooms in fat of choice and 1/2 Tbsp of Trifecta.
- Add 2lbs ground meat of choice and brown. You may need to skim fat if less lean than 90/10, add remaining Trifecta and 1/4 cup coconut aminos to season the beef as if browns.
- Once mostly cooked thru, add 2 cups Fauxmato sauce (our recipe) or unsweet tomato sauce, and 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses.
- Stir until well combined, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 10 min until sauce thickens.
- Get sloppy! We served on Trader Joes GF buns with a salad.
The leftovers are even better and are fantastic over rice, in a casserole, on a taco-bowl-like salad… you name it, the possibilities are endless! It’s so simple, but SO delish!
Pin this recipe to save it for later!
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!