Are you ready for this Rosemary Carrot Mash? I am! Autumn is here and I am here for it! If that makes me basic, so be it. But, I love waking up in the morning with a slight chill from the cool air in open windows. I love watching the leaves change color here in the beautiful Northern Virginia area, well known for our Shenandoah region during this season.
oh my gosh, look at those little babies in the famous Shenandoah skyline
Most of all: I love the food! Pumpkins and apples get so much attention, but fall foods in general can all give such great comfort. Today’s recipe is no exception – this Rosemary Carrot Mash was one of my absolute favorites from our cookbook, Beyond Bacon. We originally teased it in the “look inside” and I know many of you have made this recipe from the book.
Now, you don’t have to have the cookbook – please do share this link with friends and family, because carrots deserve their turn in the seasonal spotlight, too!
- 6 medium carrots, about 1 pound, ends removed, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 Tb ghee, lard, or fat of choice
- 2 Tb full-fat coconut milk or heavy whipping cream (grass-fed preferred)
- 1 Tb fresh rosemary
- 1 tspn fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tspn salt (kosher preferred)
- 1 tspn black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Steam or boil carrots until they are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the carrots, and transfer them to a food processor or bowl for mashing. Pulse 5 times for 2 seconds or mash the carrots to a chunky consistency with a potato masher.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and pulse or mash until all ingredients are combined thoroughly. Serve warm.
Carrots are one of our favorite vegetables. They are not generally considered an elegant vegetable, but in this dish, rich with flavor, they couldn’t be classier. It’s also super simple and quick. We service this dish almost every week, and if there are any leftovers, the kids arm wrestle for them. See how savory herbs rejuvenating the humble, affordable carrot!
This recipe is from our cookbook, Beyond Bacon. If you enjoy it I bet you’d love others, too!
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!