Some ingredients get forgotten.
And even if they’re not forgotten, they get pigeonholed.
Radishes are one such ingredient and that’s a shame. I’ve loved radishes since I was a kid when I discovered that they have a spicy peppery flavor paired with an subtle sweetness and a crunchy texture, which makes them absolutely unique to taste. But like most people, I forget about them when they’re not in front of me. And when they’re in front of me, it’s almost always fresh and raw and in a salad, usually sliced and not in chunks.
Today, I’m telling you that radishes are more than just a salad accompaniment! They’re delicious in so many forms! And now that we’re finding them in the Farmers’ Market again, let’s find a new way to use them!
What we found in the market recently was a just-picked, incredibly fresh radishes. And sitting right next to them were some fresh sweet onions. Now that sounds like a party! We decided that these sweet radishes would pair perfectly if roasted with the onions as a great side dish with our Chicken Fried Steak from The Domestic Man!
With a little thyme, salt and pepper, these radishes were absolutely delicious and we know you’ll enjoy them too. They were a great flavor and texture pairing with the fried cubed steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy – so fresh and fun!
- 2 lbs radishes, ends removed and halved
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or other high temperature oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- On a baking tray, toss radishes and onions with avocado oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. We recommend using a silpat or parchment paper to avoid a cleaning mess from the caramelized veggies.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and slightly tender.
p.s. They’re a pretty special side dish that most people will have never had this way – including kids. Ours thought it was awesome to try something new, and anything that makes kids excited about trying veggies is a win in our books!