These are an old favorite that we’ve adapted to perfection over the years. This version is exactly the right amount of dark chocolate flavor to tempt anyone!
Think: a (fancy! but super easy!) rich chocolate cupcake that is ever so slightly gooey in the center, topped with a marshmallow (or dollop of whipped cream). Reminiscent of hot chocolate, these mini-cakes will become a new favorite! They may look special, but trust us: they are really quick to whip up and our three boys had no problems making these disappear!
We are a family of hot-chocolate lovers. We’ve made our share of hot cocoa at home, and enjoyed some incredibly rich and delicious almond milk hot chocolate at our favorite bakeries and coffee shops! The neat thing here is how you’ll find the puffed up cupcakes fall like souffles as they cool, creating the perfect crater to fill with a topping of your choice – we specifically recommend a big, fluffy homemade marshmallow to add to the “hot chocolate” experience!
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs avocado oil, or melted ghee (we recommend Tin Star Brown Butter ghee)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or line muffin cups (makes 12 larger, or 24 smaller).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, cocoa powder, almond flour, salt, baking soda, sugars, vanilla, and oil/ghee; mix until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes. Results should see the middle still gooey and will deflate after a minute or so. Serve topped with a marshmallow while still warm or let cool and fill the "crater" with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
These are perfect for your upcoming snow days – can’t wait to see & hear how your family enjoyed them ♥