Today we are happy to have Laura from Paleo In Comparison share a recipe on our site for Chicken Biryani with Saffron Cauli Rice. Laura is a lovely new Paleo blogger, and we found her on Instagram not that long ago. Laura makes delicious paleo and primal recipes that are easy to follow, and we love that she is a fan of a good #selfie.
- 4 Chicken thighs (or cut of choice)
- 3 Tbs ghee (I like OMghee)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1-2 small onions)
- 3 cups skinned & diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs plain coconut milk yogurt
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 T Fresh Chopped Mint
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add onions and cook until done. Turn the heat down to low.
- To the onions, add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat until the tomatoes have cooked all the way down into a sauce.
- Stir the sauce occasionally to ensure it doesn’t burnt to the bottom. I like to mash the tomatoes a bit as it cooks to speed up the process.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked down to a sauce, add the chicken & coat with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is done. This takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower chopped
- 2 tsp saffron threads (or 1 tsp ground saffron)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 Tbs ghee
- In a food processor, combine cauliflower, saffron threads, ground cloves, and salt.
- Pulse in the food processor until cauliflower is roughly the size of grains of rice.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add cauliflower rice and cook until just heated through.
- If you like your cauli rice a little softer, just continue cooking until you get the texture you’d like.
- To Plate: Spoon some cauli rice onto a plate, top with the chicken and sauce, and garnish with a little sprig of mint and ENJOY!