SAFER SKINCARE FAQ
Don’t forget – healthy skin isn’t just what you put on the outside – or in.
It’s a combination of healthy living, for your inside & out!
Want to make a purchase with Beautycounter? Use CLEANFORALL20 for 20% off and choose Stacy Toth at checkout so I can thank you!
Here are some of our most popular posts on personal care products:
- Top 5 Sustainable Safer Swaps (Earth Day 2022)
- Top 6 Safer Swaps (Earth Day 2021)
- Advocating Safer Beauty
- 8 Detoxification Tips
- Target Clean Product Guide
- Clean Deo for Sensitive Skin
- The Science of Skin & Troubleshooting Skin Issues
- Safer Sun: how to choose tested & safe sunscreen
- Anti-Aging: Top 3 Best & Worst Ingredients
- Does Talc Cause Cancer?
- Is there Gluten in Your Personal Care Products, and Does it Matter?
- Self Care, Self Love, Self Respect, Self Acceptance & Beautycounter
- 8 Things Every Man Needs to Be Clean
- 8 Reasons Petroleum Jelly Has NO Place In Your Home (and what to use instead)
- Safer Skincare for (pre) Teens – and why it matters
- Top 10 Healthiest Houseplants: Purify Air, Non-Toxic to Pets, and Hard to Kill
- Healthier Hair Products & avoiding cancer from dyes and relaxers
- How & Why I left my corporate job to be my own boss with Beautycounter
Here are some of our podcasts on non-toxic living:
- Healthier Visit with Aunt Flo: healthier menstruation options (ep 322)
- Banning Sneaky Toxins in Beauty Products (ep 422)
- Troubleshooting Dry Skin Issues (ep 431)
- What are PFAS (forever chemicals, 464)
- Basic Needs Don’t Count as Self Care (ep 447)
- Safer Sun part 1: Sunscreen, Sun Exposure, and Sunburns (ep 301)
- Safer Sun part 2: Is Blue Light Harmful (ep 302)
- Cancer Risk from Personal Care Items (The Paleo View podcast ep 275)
- Must Know Botox Info (The Paleo View podcast ep 349)
- Nutrients and Personal Care for Teens and Acne Prone Skin (ep 344)
- Let’s Talk about Menopause (ep 369)
- How to Detox Chlorine (ep 360)
- Stacy’s Big News: Leaving Corporate America for Beautycounter (ep 345)
- Safer Cleaning Products (ep 331)
- The Scoop on Red Light and Infrared Therapy (ep 315)
Q: Why Clean Beauty?
Have you looked up the products you’re using on Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database? Their free app is amazing, you can use your camera to scan bar codes and check the safety of products! I bet you’ll be surprised to learn what’s in items you use and how they harm your health! From endocrine hormone disrupters, to heavy metals, and scientific links to cancer you’ll find it all in the products most people use day in and day out.
The US does a TERRIBLE job of monitoring the toxicity in our hygiene products. Even though our skin is our largest organ an 70% of the chemicals we put on it are absorbed into our blood stream within 26 seconds (sources 1 and 2). The EU has banned 1400 chemicals from hygiene products. The US? Last updated in 1938 (long before many chemicals used today even existed), we have only banned 11.
Q: Why Beautycounter?
Years before I discovered Beautycounter, I switched over most of my hygiene routine in a series I called Skintervention. At the time, the only products I was aware of were the department store brands that I’d come to love – full of toxins – or very natural brands that meant I was rubbing (stinky) fermented cod liver oil on my face. But, considering the lengths I went to live a healthy lifestyle for the sake of my health (including autoimmune diseases which are linked to environmental triggers), I was willing to give it a try.
Though I saw improvement in my skin when I switched, I still had bouts of adult acne when I’d eat inflammatory foods or menstruate (from hormones). Truthfully, I also was still using a few brands of toxic beauty products because I just couldn’t find anything to replicate them that was more natural. And, a 3rd party tested those “crunchy” products I was using and found they had rancid oxidized oils in them – not the fermented good fats I thought.
So I asked around to find a brand that actually tested their products and worked. I found Beautycounter, a certified B Corp giving back to people and planet, a brand testing the efficacy and safety of products, a brand who educates and advocates for the health and safety of all. I gradually started trying and using more products and building my business partnered with them, because for the first time I was using something I could genuinely see work like something from Sephora (fun fact: Sephora featured them as The Leaders In Clean in 2020). But made better, with studies and test results I can trust.
It’s my face, if there’s a place to splurge in the budget – this is it.
It was pricey, but offered the same quality as department store without the toxic ingredients. So I gave Countertime products a try. Read more about why I love that line here.
Not only can I now give my own testimonial about reduction in wrinkles as well as improvement in inflammation of my face – including significant reduction in adult acne. After learning more about the brand and how much toxins affect health – I’m dedicating part of our (new) blog’s mission to ensuring people are Healthy on the Inside & OUT!
My adult acne has improved dramatically compared to prior Skintervention results,
I rarely see zits now – but I use the Overnight Resurfacing Peel, Acne SOS Spot Treatment, and Charcoal Mask as a spot treatment when it do.
Q: What are your favorite BC products?
- Flawless in 5, Beautycounter’s 5 minute make-up discounted bundle:
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF in Fair 2 (or you can get Skin Twin Foundation)
- Creamy Concealer, I like to use both Fair 1 (under the eyes) and Light 1 (my actual skin color for color correction)
- Cheeky Clean Cream Blush (Refillable! I love Cider on it’s own, or Havana with the below bronzing stick)
- Brilliant Brow Gel in Light
- Lip Gloss in Quartz (Brûlée and Dahlia are other favorites)
- Think Big All-in-One Mascara
- I like to add the Illuminating Cream Highlighter stick in Bronze Glow
- In summer I set my T-zone with the Mattify Skin Finishing Powder (like Bare Minerals Veil)
- Lily Lip Sheer is my go-to for a hint of color that hydrates like chapstick
My Skincare Routine
All proper skincare routines have 4 steps:
- WASH: I use Charcoal Bar when in the shower or Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser otherwise
- PREP: I then spray with Herbivore’s Rose Mist followed by Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence (this is my favorite skincare product for all skin types and has the highest percentage of anti-aging ingredients and is the largest and least expensive in all the Countertime line)
- TREAT: I combine the Countermatch Intense Moisture Serum with Facial Oil (I like Brightening usually or Balancing if blemishes are acting up)
- PROTECT: and Dew Skin, rub together in my hand and apply while the skin is still tacky from the Essence
- WASH: Before bed, I wash using the Countertime Lipid Defense Cleansing Oil, apply to dry skin and rub in circular motions before applying water to best remove makeup (or use a compostable Cleansing Wipe), then also wash with the Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser after
- PREP: same as above
- TREAT: every other night I use the Overnight Resurfacing Peel alternating with the Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum; when using the Peel it’s important to wait 5-10 minutes, before finishing with
- PROTECT: Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream + a few drops of the No. 1 Brightening Facial Oil
- Once or twice a week I use:
Stacy’s routine is based off of the anti-aging products ideal for acne prone skin,
if you have dry skin try the routine below
Body & Hair (and the family)
- Body Wash in Citrus Mimosa or Charcoal Bar (I use under the arms for good detox)
- Smoothing Shave Cream
- For my hair, I use Vegamour (FB20 gets you 20% off) everyone else uses Beautycounter’s Daily Shampoo
- When my hair is wet, I use Rahua’s Hydration Detangling Spray with UV protection
- In the winter my skin can get dry, I really like the Melting Body Balm for elbows and heels
- For my sensitive skin I LOVE the Countermatch Body Lotion
- Matt wears the Countersun Daily Sheer Defense as his daily moisturizer.
- When the kids get a breakout they use the Charcoal Bar + Acne SOS Spot Treatment, and Countersun Daily Sheer Defense (zinc is a skin anti-inflammatory) to keep skin clear
- Finn uses the Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm <—- the BEST for dry, sensitive skin!
- WE LOVE COUNTERSUN: Protect Stick Sunscreen (face size), Lotion, and Mist
Q: Do you use other products, that aren’t Beautycounter?
Yes. I’ve saved all my other non-toxic faves here, like bug sprays and toothpaste or other products you may be curious about.
Q: I want to make the switch to safer skincare but am on a budget, what do you recommend getting first?
Look-up your most toxic products on EWG’s Skin Deep Database. Then prioritize swapping out as things either run out, or based on what’s the worst rated and most toxic product you use.
Want something more specific recommendations? Want to build a plan to transition over time? I’ll be happy to help you customize to you and your family’s needs, e-mail me or text: 703-634-9992 (yes, it’s actually me).
WAYS TO SAVE
- Band of Beauty Membership – $29 gets you TWO free gifts valued at $49 free with purchase PLUS 10% of each order in future product credit AND free shipping over $100
- Plus, whatever is being offered as a special promotion! I make sure to outline all the best ways to save at least once a month.
- Make sure to join my e-mail list to never miss an offer!
Q: I’m terrible with make-up but want to learn. Where do I start?
Q: What are the differences between Beautycounter’s skincare lines?
How do I choose what’s right for me?! Beautycounter has FIVE skincare line options. I go into detail on that in this post here.
Don’t forget the INSIDE part!
Everyone’s always looking for a quick fix. I get it. I’m human too. But you didn’t get “unhealthy” overnight, and healing won’t happen by simply purchasing new make-up, either. Being healthy inside & out is an ENTIRE LIFESTYLE.
Here are some of the other critical components that help me feel my best:
- Sleep & Reduced Stress
- Broth & Collagen
- Drink Water & Detox
- Choosing foods that nourish me
Q: Why did you become a Beautycounter consultant?
Because I effing love the stuff and want every person in the world to throw out their toxic hygiene products and replace them with something safer. Since BC was the absolute best performing of all the better beauty products I’ve tried, I’ve become obsessed. I’ve become that obnoxious person telling everyone I know… kind of like I did when I started changing my lifestyle!
As a buyer of the products I was only helping myself and the boys. As a consultant, I’ve helped thousands of people because of the customers and team members who are sharing this message with friends and family!
But seriously, I know people have their own theories about MLM, pyramid-schemes, and network marketing. The fact is, Beautycounter is no different than any other affiliate program I could use as a blogger. They are a woman-owned and run organization that empowers us to be our own bosses with financial freedom I’ve ever had before (read more on that here). Being a part of this company has been the single greatest thing I’ve done for my own self worth, job satisfaction, and family’s financial stability.
Beautycounter is a B Corp: they are certified to put people and planet above profit. You can be assured your purchase helps our women-owned and family business as well as fund research that helps the entire personal care industry learn and improve. Beautycounter does NOT require consultants to make minimum monthly purchases or invest themselves into debt. We don’t have to have product on hand because it all ships directly from Beautycounter.
I’d LOVE to have you join me and our team of empowered women running their own businesses! E-mail me if you wanna learn more.
Can I join your team; will you be my mentor?
Yes! Team Healthy Inside & Out is on a mission to help people remove toxins from their lives and I’d love to have you join me on this mission! If it’s something you’re considering please contact me so we can chat to see if it’s the right fit for you and we can figure out the best way to set you up for success. There’s more info in the table below, but check out what being a consultant entails here.
Two of my team members, Lindsey & Janine, fighting for safer Personal Care Products
with me in Washington, DC for the March Forth Beautycounter trip.
What is the difference between being a Customer, Client, Consultant, Host, or Member?
|This term simply means customer. If you’ve ever bought BC products, but never done any of the other things, this is what you are!||This is a customer (client) that hosts a “pop-up” or party – online or in person. There are unique hostess rewards offered by BC headquarters (in addition to all of my personal specials!) that hosts are eligible for depending on the sales of the social. Think of this like a tupperware party, but for safer skincare to help your friends and loved ones make over their makeover.||This is what Band of Beauty (BoB) “membership” customers are called. BoB is just like Amazon Prime or a frequent buyer program ($29 annually). The advantage is a gift with purchase, free shipping on orders $100 or more, and 10% of every order becomes “product credit” to use on your next order. So it’s like 10% off always!||Consultant (or affiliate) is someone who signs-up to spread the message of safer skincare by selling the products and gets themselves a hefty personal discount, too (25-44%). Since buyers buy directly from BC HQ this simply means sharing links, hosting parties, or embracing this mission in the way that moves you. (like me, I’m a consultant!)|
|Ready? Place an order HERE.||Want to learn more about being a host? E-mail me!||Sign-up for your annual BoB membership HERE.||Thinking that you might want to turn your love of BC into a job? Sign-up HERE or e-mail me!|
Alright, I’m ready… what do I do?
- Get my newsletters so I can keep in touch with you about sales, specials, and news
- Follow the links in the above table to either place an order, host a social, become a member, or join as a consultant!