Join my e-mail Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list to never miss out on education, giveaways, and deals. If making a purchase, make sure you add Beautycounter’s member loyalty program, Band of Beauty for 10% back, free shipping, and a gift with purchase! ♥
SAFER SKINCARE FAQ
Don’t forget – healthy skin isn’t just what you put on the outside – or in.
It’s a combination of healthy living, for your inside & out!
Join our e-mail list to learn more in our free exclusive eBook, Healthy Inside & Out.
Here are some of our most popular posts on personal care products:
- Safer Swaps Guide
- Cancer Risk from Personal Care Items (The Paleo View podcast ep 275)
- Is there Gluten in Your Personal Care Products, and Does it Matter?
- Self Care, Self Love, Self Respect, Self Acceptance & Beautycounter
- 8 Reasons Petroleum Jelly Has NO Place In Your Home (and what to use instead)
- Safer Skincare for (pre) Teens – and why it matters
- Must Know Botox Info (The Paleo View podcast ep 349)
- How & Why I left my corporate job to be my own boss with Beautycounter
- Nutrients and Personal Care for Teens and Acne Prone Skin
- Top 10 Healthiest Houseplants: Purify Air, Non-Toxic to Pets, and Hard to Kill
- 8 Things Every Man Needs to Be Clean
- Safer Cleaning Products
Q: Why Beautycounter?
Have you looked up the products you’re using on Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database? Their free app is amazing, you can use your camera to scan bar codes and check the safety of products! I bet you’ll be surprised to learn what’s in items you use and how they harm your health! From endocrine hormone disrputers, to heavy metals, and scientific links to cancer you’ll find it all in the products most people use day in and day out.
The US does a TERRIBLE job of monitoring the toxicity in our hygiene products. Even though our skin is our largest organ an 70% of the chemicals we put on it are absorbed into our blood stream within 26 seconds. The EU has banned 1400 chemicals from hygiene products. The US? 30.
Think about that for a second. Think about your loved ones health.
Years ago I switched over most of my hygiene routine in a series I called Skintervention. At the time, the only products I was aware of were the department store brands that I’d come to love – full of toxins – or very natural brands that meant I was rubbing (stinky) fermented cod liver oil on my face. But, considering the lengths I went to live a healthy lifestyle for the sake of my health (including autoimmune diseases which are linked to environmental triggers) I was willing to make the sacrifice of lovely scents and textures to save my health. Though I saw improvement in my skin when I switched, I still had bouts of adult acne when I’d eat inflammatory foods or menstruate (from hormones). Truthfully, I also was still using a few brands of toxic beauty products because I just couldn’t find anything to replicate them that was more natural.
When I heard about Beautycounter I couldn’t believe that something could genuinely feel like something I could buy at Sephora but be made with non-toxic, real ingredients that wouldn’t cause my body harm.
Like, literally. I didn’t believe it. I refused to try it for months.
But, when I realized my skin was starting to show wrinkles I started looking for a more natural alternative than the mainstream anti-aging products. I reached out to my safer skincare mentor, Liz, and asked her what products she would recommend. She immediately told me I needed to give Beautycounter a try.
So I researched it. I ended up choosing the Countertime Rejuvinating Collection to try – my favorite products of the set are the Rejuvinating Radiance Serum and the Rejuvinating Night Cream. The Rejuvinating Toner Pads are my can’t-live-without-it product. All of these products gave me comfort to purchasebecause they were 3rd party tested to show results!
Join my e-mail list here to never miss future deals!
It was pricey, but offered the same quality as department store without the toxic ingredients. “It’s my face, if there’s a place to splurge in the budget – this is it.” So I gave the Countertime/Rejuvenating products a try. The Serum and Pads both naturally exfoliate with fruit acid, which is less abrasive on the skin, but the Vitamin C allows for evening skin tone, brightening, and penetrating the skin to ensure deep hydration. I find them to be highly effective!
Not only can I now give my own testimonial about reduction in wrinkles as well as improvement in inflammation of my face – including significant reduction in adult acne. After learning more about the brand and how much toxins affect health – I’m dedicating part of our (new) blog’s mission to ensuring people are Healthy on the Inside & OUT!
My adult acne has improved dramatically compared to prior Skintervention results,
I rarely see zits now – but I use the Toner Pads, Acne SOS Spot Treatment, and Charcoal Mask as a spot treatment when it do.
Q: But I LOOOOOVE the products I currently use. What would you suggest I replace [X] favorite product with?
Q: What are your favorite BC products?
You can join my Healthy Inside & Out Facebook Group where I share more information about safer skincare as well as post selfies and detail the specific products I used that day. In general, here’s a list of my absolute-can’t-live-withouts.
- Flawless in 5, Beautycounter’s 5 minute make-up discounted bundle:
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF (or you can get Tint Skin Foundation)
- Concealer Pen
- Blush (I love Date as a bronzed glow but Nectar is the most popular)
- Brow Gel (or you can choose Brow Pencil)
- Lip Gloss in Blush Shimmer, Buff, or Azale
- Volumizing Mascara
- When I’m fancy, I use Get the Look for eyeliner and eyeshadow
- Lily Lip Sheer
- Lip Conditioner when I just want hydration and shine
- LashFood Collagen Conditioning Primer (see my how to get Beast Mode Lashes here)
[note: the Flawless in 5 set is the best deal on make-up at Beautycounter, you get 6 items for 20% off]
My Skincare Routine
- Charcoal Bar to wash my face (only on days I shower)
- Daily face wash with Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser
- Remove make-up wiping off with a dry towel using Beautycounter Baby Soothing Oil
- Rejuveanting Toner Pad (save it to use the back in the evenings between the lid and air tight seal)
- Apply Rejuvenating Countertime Radiance Serum then Dew Skin from my flawless in five as skincare
- Sometimes an eye cream – I like Countermatch for dark or puffy under eyes and Rejuvenating for fine lines (I have been using this on my forehead and seen improvement in wrinkles between the brows)
- Once face is dry and rested, apply the rest of makeup
- Before bed, I wash again with Clear Pore Cleanser (or use a MakeUp Remover Cleansing Wipe)
- Use other side of the Toner Pad used in the AM
- Then apply, the Overnight Resurfacing Peel (3-4x/wk) before applying night cream.
- Wait 5-10 minutes, then finish with Rejuvenating Night Cream.
- Once or twice a week use No. 3 Balancing Charcoal face mask
Body & Hair
- Body Wash in Citrus Mimosa or Charcoal Body Wash
- Smoothing Shave Cream
- For my hair, I alternate between the Volume & Shape and Smooth & Control shampoo and conditioner
- When my hair is wet I spritz on the Sea Salt Spray (I am OBSESSED with this stuff) and then apply the Hair Oil from the Smooth & Control line into the ends, scrunching up. This is ALL I do to my curls and it works GREAT!
- In the winter my skin can get dry, I really like the Body Butter for elbows and heels and Rosemary Citrus Oil (which is also a natural bug repellent) all over to hydrate.
- For daily use, I LOVE the Countermatch Body Lotion.
- Kids Bath Collection (fantastic set and very affordable)
- Protect Stick Sunscreen (face size)
- Matt uses the Daily Shampoo & the Charcoal Bar on his face and Charcoal Body Bar in his showers
- Cole uses mostly just the Counterman Clarifying Toner Pads (he’s super minimal and this sits next to his bed)
- When they get a breakout he uses the Charcoal Bar + Acne SOS Spot Treatment, and Countermatch (plant-based BioMimic technology adapts to each person’s skins needs – perfect for hormonal changes!) to keep his skin clear
- Finn uses the Cleansing Balm on his dry skin that can be eczema-prone if we don’t follow dietary standard (i.e. if he eats ketchup)
Do you use other products, that aren’t Beautycounter?
Yes. The exceptions to BC are as follows:
- LashFood Collagen Conditioning Primer (this is critical for how healthy, long and voluminous my lashes have become)
- Hask Charcoal or Innersence Dry Shampoo
- Ursa Major Deodorant (no BS is what I use)
- Pravana Nevo Super Shape Hair Spray
- Sparkoal Beauty Natural Teeth Whitening Toothpaste & whitening powder made from activated charcoal
Lash Primer + Beautycounter’s better Mascara has made a HUGE difference in my lash health!
Q: I want to make the switch to safer skincare but am on a budget, what do you recommend getting first?
Look-up your most toxic products on EWG’s Skin Deep Database. Then prioritize swapping out as things either run out, or based on what’s the worst rated and most toxic product you use.
Want something more specific recommended? Choose what matters most to you from the below:
For $50 – My “Worst Offenders” Immediate Replacements:
Anti-bacterial soap and hair sprays (which you literally spray into your face and open oraficies) are often the WORST items in people’s daily routines. I recommend replacing them immediately with two of Beautycounter’s most affordable and best products.
For $66 – For the Family:
Anyone can use this shampoo, conditioning & body wash set – it’s affordable and smells fun & fresh! My boys love it and I’ve heard lots of moms use it too! The baby soothing oil is one of my FAVORITE and most versatile products at BC, it’s everything from deep hydration on my winter elbows to soothing discomfort when Finn’s eczema flares to my daily make-up remover. It’s ah-maze-ing!
- 5 minute look discounted in the Flawless in 5 (5 minute face) customized for you!
It’s an investment to replace ALL of your make-up, but this it highly-pigmented, high performance make-up that can be (and has been) compared to the likes of the top department store brands, winning Allure’s Best of Beauty Award 5 years running*! I happen to agree with Allure, and have included all 5 of their selected award-winning items in this recommended “package.”
- Band of Beauty Membership – $29 gets you a free gift with purchase PLUS 10% of each order in future product credit and free shipping
- Whatever is being offered as a special promotion! Make sure to join my e-mail list and the Facebook Group to never miss an offer!
Need to color match or have a questions? E-mail me and I’ll send you a sample of something you want to try!
Q: How do you remove the mascara?!
“I love the way it stays on and lengthens my lashes but for the life of me it’s so hard to take off. Any suggestions?”
A: Use oil! I use the Soothing Baby Oil and a dry washcloth. Just give yourself a batman mask (I use two pumps to remove the make-up on my face) and it wipes right off with a dry towel! I posted a video of me doing it in this Facebook Live if you want to see, join the group and then it’s the last 2 minutes. Or, Beautycounter’s Instant Make-up Remover and Cleansing Make Up Wipes (oil-free micellar technology) is super gentle and both dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested and approved!
Q: I’m terrible with make-up but want to learn. Where do I start?
Q: What are the differences between Beautycounter’s skincare lines?
How do I choose what’s right for me?! Beautycounter has FIVE skincare line options:
- Toner Pads: 85% reported skin looked more radiant, brighter, and hydrated (I personally find they help tremendously with acne, too)
- Radiance Serum: 80% reported skin was softer and more supple
- Night Cream: 74% reported skin looked more radiance and felt renewed
- Day Cream: 90% of women reported skin was softer and more supple after eight weeks of use
- Face Cleanser: provides a light lather with gentle cleansing agents to leave skin feeling clean and soft
- Eye Cream: 89% of women reported under-eye puffiness was reduced and fine lines were diminished
This is what I use; it was about two years ago when I switched to the safer Rejuvenating line at Beautycounter and my skin has NEVER been better. It not only lightened, brightened, and reduced signs of aging, but it drastically reduced inflammation in my skin and cleared up my adult acne.
- Adaptive Moisture Lotion: provides 24 hours of hydration
- Eye Rescue Cream: 100% said eye area looks brighter and fine lines look reduced
- Recovery Sleeping Cream: 96% said they woke up with softer, smoother, vibrant-looking skin
- Intense Moisture Serum: 96% said skin looks brighter and healthier
- Cleansing Milk: 100% said product gently removed makeup; 97% said skin felt calmed and soothed
- Body Lotion: 100% said product spreads easily and 97% said skin felt well hydrated, softer and smoother*
If you’re looking for the best all-around skincare line, this is it; hydration and vitamins offer anti-aging properties as well as adapt to individual skin needs, making it great for those people who skin changes in environments or who have combination skin. Key ingredients: Shea Butter (Vitamin E), oils from plums and olives to moisturize, and Salicylic acid to even skin tone
The nourishing “essentials” is the easiest and most simple skincare line, best for people with normal skin types; it’s the most affordable and vegan/gluten-free. I don’t have many clients who love this line, I suggest one of the others instead as coconut oil can dry skin, clog-pores, and irritate over time for some people. Key Ingredients: coconut oil, witch hazel, green tea extract, aloe (Vitamins B, C and E)
This anti-ane skincare lineis intended for people with oily skin, if you have dry skin this is not for you! With a anti-inflammatory ingredients, this line helps heal and nourish the skin, rather than strip and dry it. This is great for teens and adults with very oily-prone skin.; it’s the most affordable and vegan/gluten-free.
This line of products was specifically created with men in mind. Men’s skin is generally thicker, more poreous, and oily. This line includes specific skincare best for males, and also a line of gender-neutral bath and body products such as Charcoal Body Bar , Charcoal Body Wash, and Soothing Shave Cream.
NOTE: All lines come in a 4 piece “regimen” which aims to fulfill the basic skincare steps: wash, tone, treat, moisturize. These bundled sets will save you 10% when bought together!
The PLUS collection – targeted spa-like ADDITIONS to your above routine
You can see how quickly and effective the charcoal Balancing Mask is here,
pulling out dirt and impurities from my pores!
No 1 – Brightening Mist & Oil*
Vegan, gluten-fee, soy-free
Brightening Face Oil won Allure Magazine’s Best of Beauty 2017 award
Third party testing results said skin looked brighter, softer, smoother, and rested/refreshed.
Best for: all skin types; those will dull, uneven skin-tone or scarred/damaged skin
Key Ingredients: Vitamin C, avocado oil (Vitamins B, D, and E) and Lime extract
No 2 – Plumping Mist & Oil
Mist contains gluten; face oil does not
Third party testing results said skin felt soft, moisturized, smoother, and more supple.
Best for: all skin types; those wanting firmness or elasticity
Key ingredients: kaolin clay, peony, rye seed extract, and Argan oil
No 3 – Balancing Mask*, Mist & Oil
Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
Also includes Charcoal Cleansing Bar*
Third party testing results said skin complexion clarified with refined, smoothed with excess oil removed and pores detoxified
Best for: all skin types; those concerned with acne and oily skin
Key Ingredients: charcoal (draws out impurities), witch hazel green tea extract, salicylic acid, lactic acid
*Stacy’s Picks – my favorite recommendations
What is the difference between the full-size and the Spa Sets?
The full-size products are individual products whereas the Spa Sets are smaller versions perfectly sized for trial and travel.
What is the difference of BC+ Facial Mists and the Nourishing Rosewater Mist?
Rosewater Mist’s key function is hydration, whereas the BC+ Facial Mists deliver both hydration and treatment in one. You may still use the mists the same way, to prep the skin, set makeup and refresh skin the entire day.
Don’t forget the INSIDE part!
Everyone’s always looking for a quick fix. I get it. I’m human too. But you didn’t get “unhealthy” overnight, and healing won’t happen by simply purchasing new make-up, either. Being healthy inside & out is an ENTIRE LIFESTYLE. Here are some of the other critical components that help me feel my best.
Sleep & Reduced Stress
If you google “paleo sleep” you’ll find countless articles, with medical research citations, touting the importance of sleep. You may not fully factor in the value of hormonal reset and cellular regeneration, but that literally means your body fixing itself. If you aren’t sleeping, that luggage you’re carrying under your eyes won’t go anywhere. And you will age more quickly. That’s a real thing!
Have you ever noticed how much more aged and less lively presidents look as they leave office versus coming in? That’s what 4 to 8 years of chronic stress (i.e. making decisions that affect a nation) and lack of sleep will do to you. I’m a terrible culprit myself at this, but I always look and feel my best when I take things in stride, slow down my life, and get good rest.
Broth & Vital Proteins
I often soap box about the importance of nutrient-dense foods, but the one thing I find the absolute most beneficial to my skin health is drinking broth. Rich in micronutrients and collagen, the easily digestible amino acids made from the bones of healthy animals help my body feel it’s best – from the inside out. As we noted on our post about gelatin and it’s benefits:
- tightens loose skin
- reduces cellulite
- helps joint recovery
- supports skin, hair and nail growth
- improves digestion
- pure protein
- promotes relaxation and a good night’s sleep
- can help heal your gut
As you can see, gelatin (essentially the dehydrated collagen of broth) has a lot of specific benefits to your appearance, as well as health. I’ve noticed drastic improvement in my skin, hair, and nails since consuming it regularly and cannot encourage you enough to do it, too.
Vital Proteins are collagen peptides, they are a higher quality than standard store bought. They contain more of the healing protein and amino acid content per serving. Read my detailed post here, use either of these links to get a discount on my favorite products:
As I noted in my review of The Paleo Approach, following an AIP diet and then reintroducing foods has been a savior to my health. In fact, in my latest health post I attribute it to the reason my Hashi’s is without symptoms. More than that, it has also helped clear up my skin for the first time in my life. As a teen I went on prescription medication to help with cystic acne that affected me well into my 30’s. It wasn’t until I started truly learning about my own food intolerances with AIP that I have been able to heal my skin. Of course, eating a micro-nutrient-rich diet full of antioxidants is also fantastic for the skin… and that’s the definition of AIP – win win!
Q: Why did you become a Beautycounter consultant?
Because I effing love the stuff and want every person in the world to throw out their toxic hygiene products and replace them with something safer. Since BC was the absolute best performing of all the better beauty products I’ve tried, I’ve become obsessed. I’ve become that obnoxious person telling everyone I know… kind of like I did when I started Paleo!
As a buyer of the products I was only helping myself and the boys. As a consultant, I’ve helped thousands of people because of the customers and team members who are sharing this message with friends and family!
But seriously, I know people have their own theories about MLM, pyramid-schemes, and network marketing. The fact is, Beautycounter is no different than any other affiliate program I could use as a blogger. They are a woman-owned and run organization that empowers us to be our own bosses with financial freedom I’ve ever had before (read more on that here). Being a part of this company has been the single greatest thing I’ve done for my own self worth, job satisfaction, and family’s financial stability.
Beautycounter is a B Corp: they are certified to put people and planet above profit. You can be assured your purchase helps our women-owned and famiy-run business as well as fund research that helps the entire personal care industry learn and improve. Beautycounter does NOT require consultants to make minimum monthly purchases or invest themselves into debt. We don’t have to have product on hand because it all ships directly from Beautycounter.
I’d LOVE to have you join me and our team of empowered women running their own businesses! E-mail me if you wanna learn more.
Can I join your team; will you be my mentor?
Yes! Team Healthy Inside & Out is on a mission to help people remove toxins from their lives and I’d love to have you join me on this mission! If it’s something you’re considering please contact me so we can chat to see if it’s the right fit for you and we can figure out the best way to set you up for success. There’s more info in the table below, but check out what being a consultant entails here.
Two of my team members, Lindsey & Janine, fighting for safer Personal Care Products
with me in Washington, DC for the March Forth Beautycounter trip.
What is the difference between being a Customer, Client, Consultant, Host, or Member?
|This term simply means customer. If you’ve ever bought BC products, but never done any of the other things, this is what you are!||This is a customer (client) that hosts a “pop-up” or party – online or in person. There are unique hostess rewards offered by BC headquarters (in addition to all of my personal specials!) that hosts are eligible for depending on the sales of the social. Think of this like a tupperware party, but for safer skincare to help your friends and loved ones make over their makeover.||This is what Band of Beauty (BoB) “membership” customers are called. BoB is just like Amazon Prime or a frequent buyer program ($29 annually). The advantage is a gift with purchase, free shipping on orders $100 or more, and 10% of every order becomes “product credit” to use on your next order. So it’s like 10% off always!||Consultant (or affiliate) is someone who signs-up to spread the message of safer skincare by selling the products and gets themselves a hefty personal discount, too (25-44%). Since buyers buy directly from BC HQ this simply means sharing links, hosting parties, or embracing this mission in the way that moves you. (like me, I’m a consultant!)|
|Ready? Place an order HERE.||Want to learn more about being a host? E-mail me!||Sign-up for your annual BoB membership HERE.||Thinking that you might want to turn your love of BC into a job? Sign-up HERE or e-mail me!|
Alright, I’m ready… what do I do?
- Join my Facebook group so I can keep in touch with you about sales, specials, and news.
- Sign up for my e-mail Healthy Inside & Out lis to always stay in the know.
- Follow the links in the above table to either place an order, host a social, become a member, or join as a consultant!