We first discovered Kate, the talent behind the blog Real Food RN, because of her GENIUS Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares – I mean, what a great way to get in a serving of gut healing gelatin! We immediately subscribed to her blog and kept a close eye on her Instagram feed and love the range of posts we find. From DIY beauty products to essential oil usage, and recipe posts that leave your belly grumbling (hello dream worthy paleo frosting!).
Because of the range of recipes we found on Kate’s site, we knew that she would likely deliver something epic for a guest post on our site. And sure enough, she developed a 5-ingriedient chocolate pudding recipe that actually looks like delicious pudding and not just a so-so healthy alternative.
Goodbye ‘Snack Pack’ cravings, HELLO healthy 5-ingriedient chocolate pudding!
I grew up eating as many meals as I could while sitting on my Grandpa’s lap. He always had the best food on his plate. He would always chose the dark meat, everything came with sauerkraut, and he LOVED butter! This was back when eating all of those foods was not generally accepted as “healthy”. My how times have changed since the “low-fat”, white meat chicken eating days of the 80’s and 90’s!
One food I remember eating in particular was pudding. He said that pudding was the best medicine for everything that ailed you. What kid can argue with that! Whether or not there was any truth to what he said, I always wanted pudding when I was feeling sick, or even when I was feeling blue. To this day, eating pudding puts a smile on my face and takes me back to those days sitting on his knee at the dinner table lapping up butter and pudding!
So fast forward to today: 3 kids later, and following a Paleo-ish diet (we do eat raw dairy). When my kiddos are under the weather, I whip up a batch of magical pudding too! Only my version is a little different.
My pudding actually DOES have health promoting ingredients!
- Raw honey: honey can help reduce coughs and sore throats, it contains vitamins and minerals (important to replenish when kiddos are under the weather or throwing up), and it can even help relieve constipation! If you can find local honey it also helps with allergies!
- Avocado: filled with healthy fats and more vitamins and minerals
- Cocoa: full of antioxidants, and can even help lift your mood
- Bananas: full of potassium (important with vomiting or diarrhea), are known to be anti-inflammatory, and can even help boost serotonin production (your feel good neurotransmitter)
- Coconut Oil: the lauric acid found in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi
- Sea Salt: important minerals and trace minerals
- 2 avocados
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup fair trade organic cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Throw all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Makes approximately 2 cups.
- Store in a glass container in the fridge, lasts about 2 days.