It’s the little things… we are sooo incredibly happy to be back meal planning again, because it means that life has settled down and is back to normal (well, as normal as it can be with three boys!). With our trip to Disney, compounded with Cole’s emergency appendix surgery the week after we returned, we’ve definitely been flying by the seat of our pants for the past month!
We’re back with a bang, because this week’s meal plan is INCREDIBLE thanks to the recipes in Fed + Fit : A 28 Day Food and Fitness Plan to Jump-Start Your Life with Over 175 Squeaky-Clean Paleo Recipes. Seriously so delicious and such fun flavor combinations!
And, we’re sharing a recipe from the book: Zucchini Pizza Casserole!
This was one of our favorites from Cassy Joy’s book, so were were thrilled when she agreed to let us share it with you! You’ll find the recipe below!
Here’s what we ate for dinner this week:
If you want your kids to ask for seconds on salad… make this for dinner! And the bonus was it was a great way to use up leftover chicken, so this meal was super simple to make, especially with the 3-ingredient Ranch Dressing!
Monday: Zucchini Pizza Casserole and Crispy Garlic Steak Fries
—> Zucchini Pizza Casserole recipe from Fed + Fit Cookbook, and shared below!!
—> Crispy Garlic Steak Fries recipe from Fed + Fit Cookbook
This was such a fun meal, and great way to easily eat a lot of veggies! When you make veggies taste like pizza, nobody complains. And of course the garlic fries were awesome too. Highly recommend this dinner!
Tuesday: Asian-Style Cabbage Rolls with Savory Almond Sauce and Zesty Okra Fries
—> Asian-Style Cabbage Rolls with Savory Almond Sauce recipe from Fed + Fit Cookbook
—> Zesty Okra Fries recipe from Fed + Fit Cookbook
We make a lot of Asian recipes, but we haven’t made one quite like this before- the cabbage rolls with almond sauce were very good. And yep, even the boys ate the okra (of course it doesn’t hurt when you call them okra “fries”).
Comfort food on comfort food! Chicken bake = excellent. Loaded cauliflower mac = excellent. Both these dishes made incredible leftovers!
Thursday: Chicken Caesar Salad
—> Chicken Caesar Salad recipe from Fed + Fit Cookbook
A classic that we haven’t had in a while. I love a big salad for dinner, and this one didn’t disappoint!
We love when we can work a leftovers day into our meal plan because it means very little work and only a few dishes! We were headed out of town for the weekend and wanted to make sure we ate up what we had before leaving.
Recipes in this meal plan can be found recipe in Fed + Fit Cookbook!
Cassy Joy has given us permission to share the excellent recipe for the Pizza Casserole today! We loved this meal and we know you will as well!
- 5 zucchini, shredded
- 1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, divided
- 2 (6 oz) jars of tomato paste (we used our Fauxmato Sauce!)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Italian Seasoning, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 oz pepperoni, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the salt and stir so that it's well combined. Set the bowl aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. The salt will draw the water out of the zucchini. You'll know it's ready when the zucchini is sitting in a pool of water.
- When the zucchini has released its water, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Drain the water that has collected in the bottom of the bowl, then wring the excess water from the zucchini by placing it in a nut milk bag or cheesecloth and pressing firmly. Return the zucchini to the large bowl.
- Add the tomato paste, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the Italian Seasoning, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper to the dehydrated zucchini. Mix until it's well combined and has an even texture. Spread out this zucchini "crust" in an 8-inch square or round baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, toss the sliced mushrooms with the olive oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning. Cover the zucchini mixture with the seasoned mushrooms and pepperoni slices. Sprinkle some extra Italian Seasoning on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pepperoni starts to look crispy. Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes, if desired.