Welcome science-writer and researcher Dawson Church, PhD to The Whole View. Stacy and Dawson discuss emotional psychology and how interventions like meditation and emotional freedom technique (EFT) or “tapping” can help remodel neural pathways and improve your overall health.
Go to www.DawsonGift.com to download a free starter package, The EFT Mini-Manual.
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review. Letting people know on iTunes or however you listen that it’s worth their time could change someone’s life!
- Dawson Church is an award-winning science writer with three best-selling books: The Genie in Your Genes, Mind to Matter and, Bliss Brain.
- Furthermore, his groundbreaking research has been published in many prestigious scientific journals. Over 100 scientific papers about Emotional Freedom Tapping (EFT) have appeared in peer-reviewed medical and psychology journals. These include dozens of randomized controlled trials, outcome studies, and review articles by investigators from Harvard Medical School, Purdue University, Stanford University, University of Arizona, and many other top institutions.
- Dawson also founded the Veterans Stress Solution, which has offered free treatment to over 20,000 veterans with PTSD. He shares how to apply these breakthroughs to health and athletic performance through EFTUniverse.com, one of the most-visited alternative healing sites on the web, with featured stories having appeared in the New York Times, Huffington Post, Reuters, Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN), the Times of London, Larry King Live, the Washington Post, Psychology Today, and ABC’s The View.
Energy Psychology & Emotional Freedom Tapping (EFT)
What is it?
- The integrative field of energy psychology (EP) focuses on the relationship between bioenergy systems, neuro and electro physiological processes, and mental functions involving thoughts, emotions, sensations, and behavior. Some examples include cognitive behavioral therapies, exposure therapy and body stimulation.
- Tapping, or EFT, is a mind-body therapy that draws on the traditional practice of acupuncture. With EFT people tap on a series of acupoints. As people tap, this sends a soothing signal to the fight or flight parts of the brain.
- Neuroplasticity is the law of the brain. Neuroplasticity means that what you do with your brain can actually produce changes in its structure. Whether you are aware of it or not, you are creating neural pathways in your brain by what you think, do, and feel. Research show that neural remodeling goes much further than scientists have previously understood, with stress circuits shriveling over time. Simultaneously, the “Enlightenment Circuit”—associated with happiness, compassion, productivity, creativity, and resilience—expands.
What are the benefits?
- Healing can encompass body, mind, emotions and spirituality. So when one part of our experience is healed, such as anxiety or depression, symptoms like physical pain often improve. According to the APA standards, EFT has demonstrated efficacy for anxiety, depression, PTSD and phobias. An ever increasing number of studies on the benefits of EFT for stress, anxiety and burnout, as well as for other conditions are being documented, and many of these studies demonstrate that EFT is effective as a self-help tool, and for use in healthcare settings.
- A study conducted by examined the effects of EFT on the brain and pain (and other factors) using resting state functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) pre and post intervention. This study not only reported decreased levels of pain, but also somatic symptoms, depression and anxiety. Also reported in this study is that EFT significantly increased happiness, quality of life and satisfaction with life. These results substantiate the effects of EFT as a valid intervention. [source]
- Furthermore, the outcomes of a 2019 study of EFT demonstrated substantial decreases in the physiological markers (HRV, HC, BP, and the endocrine and immune systems) as well as the decrease in psychological indicators (anxiety, depression, PTSD, pain, and cravings). There was a positive increase in happiness, as well as in the immune system. [source]
Studies, References & Products
- Bliss Brain: The Neuroscience of Remodeling Your Brain for Resilience, Creativity, and Joy by Dawson Church
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT): Tap to relieve stress and burnout, Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice
- Red Bank Counseling: Energy Psychology
- WebMD: What is EFT Tapping?
- EverydayHealth.com: What Is EFT Tapping? A Detailed Scientific Guide on Emotional Freedom Technique
- Greater Good Magazine: What is Awe?
- NBCNews.com: Why scientists say experiencing awe can help you live your best life
- Babbel.com/WHOLEVIEW | Use code WHOLEVIEW for 55% off your subscription
- Beautycounter.com/StacyToth | Go to Realeverything.com/October for special listen deals!
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!