These Hot Chocolate Fallen Souffles are an old favorite that we’ve adapted to perfection over the years. This version is exactly the right amount of dark chocolate flavor to tempt anyone!
What are they?
Think: a (fancy! but super easy!) rich chocolate cupcake that is ever so slightly gooey in the center, topped with a marshmallow (or dollop of whipped cream). Reminiscent of hot chocolate, these mini-cakes will become a new favorite! They may look special, but trust us: they are really quick to whip up and our three boys had no problems making these disappear!
We are a family of hot-chocolate lovers. We’ve made our share of hot cocoa at home, and enjoyed some incredibly rich and delicious almond milk hot chocolate at our favorite bakeries and coffee shops! The neat thing here is how you’ll find the hot chocolate fallen souffles are literal puffed up cupcakes that fall like souffles as they cool. This creates the perfect crater to fill with a topping of your choice. We specifically recommend a big, fluffy homemade marshmallow to add to the “hot chocolate” experience!
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups blanched and finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt|http://amzn.to/2j4XNBf
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey (neutral flavor like wildflower is nice)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs flavorless oil, like avocado, or melted ghee
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or line muffin cups (makes 12 larger, or 24 smaller).
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor combine the all the ingredients eggs, cocoa powder, almond flour, salt, baking soda, sugars, vanilla, and oil/ghee; mix until well combined. Temper in small amounts of the melted chocolate, so as to not scramble the eggs (if using a food process pour in a couple of table spoons at a time and pulse until incorporated).
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes. Results should see the middle still gooey and will deflate after a minute or so. Serve topped with a marshmallow while still warm or let cool and fill the "crater" with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
If you haven’t yet tried it, we recommend Tin Star Brown Butter ghee for this. The flavors are simple so the addition of this brown butter ghee is incredible. Of course, you could make it yourself – but admittedly that’s not something I’m making time for these days!
These are perfect for your upcoming snow days – can’t wait to see & hear how your family enjoyed them ♥
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!