This recipe is inspired by our eight year old, Finn, who requested that we get him a plant this Spring. We’re not very good at caring for plants, unfortunately, but decided we’d let him care for something easy. So he’s been watering a basil plant. And he’s done such a great job with it that we were able to harvest some leaves for this recipe! Yay Finn!
But what should we do with this basil? Well, we had leftover Fauxmato Sauce, some eggs and this basil. Why not prepare a baked egg version of Caprese Salad?
The recipe is quite simple to prepare, if you have the sauce on hand. I made it in less than 30 minutes and we had an absolutely lovely dinner. The first step is to prepare the pesto!
- 1 C basil leaves
- 1/2 C walnuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/3 C olive oil
- In a blender, pulse together the basil, walnuts, garlic, salt and pepper about 6 times.
- Turn blender on high and slowly pour in the olive oil. Stop the blender when a paste forms and ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Once you’ve got a pesto, you’ll be ready to bake some eggs!
- 1 C Fauxmato Sauce
- 1 Batch Basil-Walnut Pesto
- 12 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Crack the eggs, one in each cup of a well greased muffin tin.
- Spoon one tablespoon of the Fauxmato Sauce and then one tablespoon of the pesto on top of each egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the whites are cooked through.
The eggs were very tasty and a perfect use for Finn’s basil. He was very proud!