Welcome Epigenetics and Human Performance Coach Becca Roses to The Whole View! This week, Stacy and Becca discuss how our body’s response to our environment impacts our genes and how examining our genetic blueprint can help us find our body’s “cheat codes”. With this information we can cut through all the well-meaning wellness noise and give ourselves the freedom to only tune into what will best support our unique genetic makeup.
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review. Letting people know on iTunes or however you listen that it’s worth their time could change someone’s life!
- Stacy met Becca on a Beautycounter trip and she works closely with previous guest, Cassy Joy Garcia.
- As a Certified Epigenetics Human Performance Coach, Becca combines several modalities into her practice, such as meditation, human performance, and mindset hacks. In addition, she is certified in leadership and development. This further strengthens her ability to help her clients achieve their goals.
- So her life’s mission to help you feel more confident and empowered by providing you with your blueprint for limitless wellness and leveling up your mindset.
Epigenetics & Cheat Codes to Your DNA
- From Episode 499: “Epigenetics identifies genes whose variations are associated with a disease and is just the first step in linking genetics and health. Understanding the mechanisms by which the gene is expressed and how it is influenced by other genes, proteins, and the environment is becoming increasingly important.”
- Additionally, Becca defines epigenetics as the study of how your body responds to its environment & the impact that has on your genes. Therefore, what we eat, what we put on our skin, our thoughts, our interactions, and our lifestyle are more important.
- When analyzing genetic blueprints, some common Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) and genetic variants that come up are as follows:
- GAD genes: This refers to our individual grain sensitivity, but it covers so much more than just that. What we are really talking about here are the SNPs on the set of GAD genes that correspond to the body’s ability to convert Glutamate into GABA. Glutamate is involved in virtually every major excitatory brain function, and in excess, can cause anxiety, agitation, and difficulty sleeping.
- APOe genes: This correlates with how someone is impacted by saturated fat in the diet over time, which directly affects potential health impacts [source].
- MTHFR: There is more than one MTHFR gene with several different SNPs and variants. These genes are very high-impact and responsible for dopamine production and methylation activity.
Epigenetics Next Steps
- Trained epigenetics coaches can read your genes and understand how they correlate to your life. Additionally, in her genetic blueprint analysis, Becca focuses on six area that coorelate with lifestyle. They are Nutrition, Supplementation, Environmental Detox, Sleep, Athletic Performance, and Hormones. Although Becca recommends that most people start with the three beginning panels (nutrition, supplementation, & detox), because it provides a great foundational overview.
- So there are generally two different camps of people who look into epigenetic testing. One is people who have “done it all” in regards to testing and protocols and just can’t quite get it “right”. Then there are people who might have family history or things that they would like to avoid if possible. Of course, there are a whole lot of people who call somewhere in between.
- Genetic arrays aren’t deterministic, but rather probabilistic. However, this kind of information makes lasting impacts on generations because of what we know about epigenetic changes and inheritance transgenerationally.
- Becca has seen changes in her clients after implementing and supporting their bodies based on their genetic blueprints. These include improved energy, balanced blood sugar, brain fog/anxiety improved, feeling balanced, and sleeping better. Furthermore, her client are able to support themselves with tools that they know will help them instead of having to listen to all of the well-meaning wellness noise.
Studies, References & Products
- The Whole View, Ep 499: Genetics, Epigenetics, & Social Determinants of Health
- The APOE Gene is Differentially Methylated in Alzheimer’s Disease, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Genes, Behavior, and the Social Environment: Moving Beyond the Nature/Nuture Debate, NCBI Bookshelf
- Vitamin D and the development of allergic disease: how important is it?, Clinic & Experimental Allergy
- Epigenetic inheritance and the missing heritability, Human Genomics
- Epigenetic Inheritance: Concepts, Mechanisms, and Perspectives, Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience
- Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health by Dr. Ben Lynch
- Wildhealth.com/WHOLEVIEW to run tests for your own genetic blueprints | Use code WHOLEVIEW for 20% off membership
- Work with Becca, $100 OFF with the code TWV:
- Genetic Blueprint Packages
- Mind Body Academy for the Self-Paced Reset & Refresh Course and step-by-step guide to optimizing your energy & vitality
- Beautycounter.com/StacyToth | Use code CLEANFORALL20 for 20% off
So you want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!
Note: Stacy and her guests are not medical professionals. This podcast is for general educational purposes and NOT intended to diagnose, advise, or treat any physical or mental illness. So we always recommend you consult a licensed service provider.