Welcome Aliza Kelly to the Whole View! This week, Aliza and Stacy discuss the science behind Astrology to determine how and what impact the stars and planets have on us. Aliza explains how Astrology fits into a science-forward world, and what Astrology can tell us about ourselves.
- Social handles: @alizakelly (everywhere)
- Podcast: Stars Like Us
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review. Letting people know on iTunes or however you listen that it’s worth their time could change someone’s life!
- Aliza Kelly is a celebrity astrologer, columnist, bestselling author, and host. Referred to as a “rising star” in modern spirituality, Aliza has been featured in The New York Times, The New Yorker, Vogue, InStyle, The Cut, and numerous other publications.
- She’s the author of three books: The Mixology of Astrology: Cosmic Cocktail Recipes for Every Sign; Starring You: A Guided Journey Through Astrology; and This Is Your Destiny: Using Astrology to Manifest Your Best Life.
- Along with Will Arnett, Aliza was a producer and consulting astrologer behind Quibi’s top-performing show, Your Daily Horoscope. She’s a recurring guest on The Drew Barrymore Show and has appeared on E! Close Up and The Today Show.
- In addition, Aliza maintains her role as the resident astrologer of Cosmopolitan Magazine, and hosts a weekly astrology podcast, Stars Like Us, which has been praised by Mashable, Newsweek, and Bustle among many others. She’s also the host of People Magazine’s weekly pop culture show, Celebrity Astrology Investigation.
The Science Behind Astrology
- Stacy identifies as “astro-curious” or “astro-agnostic.” She’s somewhere between the hard no and the-stars-tell-us-everything. She has done two previous shows on the science behind astrology with our resident scientist, Sarah Ballantyne, Episodes 299 and 470.
- The key takeaway was that the nature of the mechanism that makes it possible for an object as small as the human body to be affected by changes in gravity associated with lunar tidal cycles is unclear and is a question for future research.
- Today, we get to hear the other side of the argument from Astrologer Aliza Kelly, astrologer to the stars. In fact, Stacy even originally found her through Instagram celebrity accounts.
- For every one person genuinely interested in astrology, there’s one condescending person who’s equally obsessed with “debunking” it. They make snide remarks, and when Aliza is asked to “prove” astrology’s legitimacy, people are often shocked by her response: As an astrologer, she truly does not care if astrology is “real.”
- The word “pseudoscience” is very triggering for many astrologists, and some astrologers will argue that astrology is a science. Aliza isn’t one of them. While there might be science behind astrology, Aliza does not think of astrology as its own science; therefore, it’s not pseudoscience.
- Aliza responds to the comment, “Imagine thinking your behavior is affected by the position of the planets that are millions of miles away.”
- Astrology is a practice of empathy. And we use the stars, planets, and celestial bodies to understand ourselves as multidimensional beings. We recognize how we act isn’t always how we feel and what we do isn’t always what we desire.
- But just because feelings aren’t quantifiable in a scientific way doesn’t mean that astrology can’t impact someone’s life.
- However, Aliza doesn’t claim astrology’s role inside the scientific space or apply the scientific method to it. She sees it more as art or poetry and believes there’s a lot of ignorance and patriarchal standards that devalue what the cosmos influence on us as organic beings.
- She loves to talk about the signs as celebrities because they are modern-day mythological figures. In ancient Greece, if you said ‘Athena,’ everyone who she was, it’s the same with astrology now.
Want more? Come join the Patreon community! You can support The Whole View podcast and hear what Stacy and her guests really think about the topic in this week’s exclusive and uncensored behind-the-scenes bonus audio. We love connecting with our Patrons! It’s a direct line to submit your questions for upcoming shows, plus you also get access to some additional cool features like Q&As, voting on show topics and guests, as well as a quarterly exclusive commercial-free episode.
Products & Sponsors
- For newbies, Aliza published an article on Allure: 12 Zodiac Signs: Dates and Personality Traits of Each Star Sign.
- Aliza responds to this comment.
- Cosmopolitan: Is Astrology A Science.
- New Yorker: Astrology in the Age of Uncertainty
- “Imagine thinking your behavior is affected by the position of the planets that are millions of miles.” Instagram
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!
Note: Stacy and her guests are not medical professionals. This podcast is for general educational purposes and NOT intended to diagnose, advise, or treat any physical or mental illness. We always recommend you consult a licensed service provider.