BATH & BODY IS A MUST FOR SWITCHING TO SAFER
Bath and body products are used most often, and in the largest quantities all of your body. If you’re using one with ‘fragrance’ or ‘parfum’ in the ingredient list (like 95% on the market), I’m here to give you some tips to and recommend you switch to my favorite sustainable non-toxic bath & body safer products!
I love that each product goes through rigorous research, screening, and testing to ensure each batch contains no contaminants and is free of dangerous toxins or heavy metals. Each formula is tested 9 times against 23 different human health endpoints – I don’t know any other brand doing that!
Fun fact: Beautycounter’s Body Wash was one of the first products to really convince to me to switch over. I had been using a different clean, natural brand and it didn’t bubble, or smell that great. In the first use I felt like I was literally in luxury. I remember stepping out of the shower to grab a loofah I’d long given up on and sudsing up – it was a moment.
To be fair, we use their shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand wash, hand lotion, and body lotion almost as much as we use water in this house. I was a little hesitant to let go of my beloveds – but now that I’ve seen the new line I’m so excited to share it with you!
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT THE NEW LINE
Delightful fragrance-free scents. Brands hide chemicals under the loophole and not disclose ingredients as “proprietary” when they list ‘fragrance’ or ‘parfum’. That means so much has not been assessed for safety. For example, the benzene and PFAS contamination we’ve seen in the last year! Known hormone disrupting phthalates are often added to fragrances to get the scent to bind and linger and are often not disclosed on the label. In fact, US labeling laws allows a brand to say “phthalate-free” or “paraben free” on the label and there’s no regulation to validate that has been tested at all. Instead, look for all ingredients to be listed.
To offer more sustainable solutions, we now have refills!! The “full size” of each product will have a reusable pump included, while the “refill” (of equal fill size) doesn’t include a pump and costs $1 USD/2 CAD less.
Aluminum is more recyclable than other refill materials, and eliminates the need for pumps by saving your pump and recycling the bottle! Purchasing a refill bottle without the pump decreases fossil fuel use by an estimated 13% relative to purchasing a complete product. And, aluminum packaging is generally recycled at a rate of about 35%, while the rate for plastic is only about 14%, making it a more sustainable option. Plus, our new aluminum packaging is lined inside with a safer food-grade coating, designed to prevent the aluminum from leaching into the product. This coating has been reviewed and approved by our Safety team, and meets strict European packaging regulations for both the food and cosmetic industries (BPA-free is just the beginning)!
We also are using post-consumer recycled (PCR) resin (made from previously disposed plastic waste). Using PCR is one way that we’re striving to minimize the environmental impacts of our packaging. We prohibit the use of phthalates in our packaging materials, along with other hormone-disrupting compounds. We are committed to safety and carefully screen all PCR packaging against our permitted materials list to ensure it meets safety requirements for cosmetic and/or food contact.
And, we upgraded some formulas, swapping for responsibly sourced palm oil. Yes!
THE BATH & BODY OPTIONS:
Daily Shampoo and Daily Conditioner, Uplifting Grapefruit scent (with Refill option)
- Provitamin B5: moisturizes and strengthens hair to help reduce split ends
Body Wash, Citrus Mimosa (with Refill option)
- Gentle surfactants: with coconut-derived fatty acids to cleanse skin without stripping moisture. Provitamin B5 moisturizes, and leaves skin feeling soft.
Hydrating Body Lotion, Citrus Mimosa (with Refill option)
- Organic coconut and safflower oils: absorbs quickly and helps hydrate, nourish, smooth and moisturize, leaving skin with a healthy glow
Softening Hand Lotion – new Neroli Scent (same as holiday 2020)
- Three delicate moisturizers enrich and hydrate: organic safflower seed oil, known to help hydrate skin; jojoba oil helps soothe and moisturize skin, while shea butter helps hydrate and condition skin
- Our hand lotion is without cyclic silicones, which are linked to reproductive toxicity and dermal irritation. Instead, this lotion contains shea butter and botanical oils for lightweight hydration.
Softening Hand Wash – new Neroli Scent (same as holiday 2020)
- Muru muru butter provides a creamy lather and leaves hands feeling soft and smooth while gentle coconut-derived surfactants cleanse skin without stripping moisture
Luminous Hydration Body Oil – updated formula
- Four luxurious oils combine for deeply hydrated skin: grapeseed oil absorbs quickly and helps to reduce skin water loss, argan oil softens skin without leaving a greasy residue, and both rosehip oil and passion fruit oil help hydrate and condition skin
- Our body oil is without mineral oil, synthetic fillers, and phthalates which may contain potentially harmful ingredients. This formula’s luxurious citrus rosemary scent comes from a blend of essential oils instead of synthetic fragrances.
Sugarbuff Body Polish – updated formula
- This more refined formula gently buffs away dull skin in a revitalizing lemongrass scent (Matt obsessed over this, says it’s a life saver for underarm bumps and dry heels)!
- Organic cane sugar provides gentle physical exfoliation to polish away dry, flaky skin, while sweet almond oil hydrates to help skin look smooth, soft, and supple, organic sunflower seed oil known to be rich in vitamin E hydrates and conditions skin.
Body Bar, Citrus Mimosa – updated formula
- Creamy, coconut-derived base produces a creamy lather and gently cleanses without stripping skin of moisture
New shape that is easier to hold in a recyclable paper box.
Melting Body Balm – award winning formula unchanged
- Be whisked away on a hydration vacation! Argan and avocado oils help hydrate and condition skin, squalane butter (derived from sugarcane) melts on skin upon application, to hydrate and soften, while organic babassu seed oil, rich in essential fatty acids, moisturizes and conditions skin
- Melting Body Balm formula is without butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), a possible human carcinogen. Instead, we formulated this hydrating balm with natural thickeners— plant-derived waxes like carnauba and rhus verniciflua peel.
- Our Melting Body Balm is made with approximately 51% PCR resin
Balm for All – new formula
- Our unscented, gentle balm is good for family members of all ages. Formulated without mineral oil, petrolatum, and fragrance it moisturizes even the most delicate skin.
- Shea butter moisturizes and conditions for softer, smoother skin, while jojoba oil helps soothe skin and maintain skin’s moisture. Organic sunflower oil absorbs quickly and helps moisturize skin.
- Balm For All has approximately 30% PCR resin
WHAT WE LOVE & OUR FAVORITES
Y’all. Have. NO. Idea! I am SO excited about these new refillable pump bottles for the Shower Essentials bundle. I have FOUR teenagers who go through SO. MUCH body products. And now I won’t pour money down the drain from overly aggressive squeezes or leaky bottles left open and upside down. This is going to save me so much money!
Matt wants me to tell you (and I quote) “you don’t know how much you NEED the Sugarbuff Body Polish. Trust me, buy it and thank me later.” I got him hooked when he had some underarm irritation, the exfoliating scrub cleared it right up, and now he says it’s a lifesaver everywhere “especially where you have a lot of body hair and dry spots, like the heels of your feet.”
I put the Melting Body Balm on my feet almost every night. Ok, truth: Matt puts it on my feet. It helps his poor, dry mail carrier hands to rub it in and accomplishes both our love languages – his: touch, mine: acts of service and quality time. Though if I had to choose, personally obsess over the new Neroli scent hand wash and lotion. I may have been hoarding this stuff from 2020 and it was getting dangerously low. I’m SO excited it’s back – and HUGE. The packaging is SO luxurious! Perfect for a guest bath, office, or your safe space… you hide in your bathroom from the kids, too – right?
Never want to miss a post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out e-mail list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!
Want more info on our Real Life? Healthy recipes, parenting tips, and general lifestyle stuff goes out in our Real Everything newsletter, join here.