Hey there, friends! As we prepare for our move to Florida, I can’t help but notice each leaf falling from the trees around me here in Virginia. Apples, and pumpkins, and dry skin, oh my! The season of change is upon us. Instead of reaching for that petroleum-based moisturizer, let’s review some alternatives and why switching to safer matters!
I get long-winded on lots of topics, so feel free to jump to the section that interests you. In this post you’ll find:
- Dry Skin Favorites
- Dew Skin & Flawless in Five promo
- Education & safety on Powder Foundation and Make-up
- Menopause podcast & recommendations
- The current GWP promo (which will save you $128)
DRY SKIN FAVORITES
Almost 2 years ago I wrote this blog post, 8 Reasons Why Petroleum has No Place in Your Home and still stand behind it. As a reminder, it’s a bi-product of crude oil waste and not eco-friendly, it is often contaminated with known carcinogens and hormone disruptors, and the occlusive nature both clogs pores and ages skin (which needs moisture, not a barrier).
Instead I suggest a few alternatives, but I want to add to that list a product I know use on my cuticles, heels, and dry spots: Melting Body Balm. Similar to the Baby Balm suggested in the article, but with a smoother texture and intoxicating natural scent that takes me immediately to a tropical destination. Perfect for cold winter nights! In fact, Allure just named it a Best of Beauty winner, on top of the other 2 products Beautycounter already had this year!
Other award-winning favorites for winter:
- Cleansing Balm: I highly recommend the Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm (tho if you haven’t gotten it yet I suggest holding off until next month *wink wink, nudge nudge*.
- No. 1 Facial Oil: A fantastic treatment to dry, dull skin – although, because of the Peel deal below I’d suggest that instead.
- Countermatch Adaptive Body Moisturizer: A fantastic gender-neutral gentle moisturizer without a scent perfect for daily body hydration.
- Dew Skin: Just because summer has said good bye doesn’t mean the sun still doesn’t cause damage – always wear SPF, and this tinted moisturizer brightens and hydrates parched, dry skin!
WHY DO I LOVE DEW SKIN SO MUCH?
This is my NUMBER ONE recommended product. I have worn it EVERY. DAY. for the last 3 years. Why?
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide Mineral-based SPF 20 protects your skin against UVA, UVB, and Blue Light damage!
- Hyaluronic Acid* hydrates delicately and deeply, for a dewy glow and finish on your skin, leaving it smooth and balanced.
- Vitamin C* (as well as black currant and peony-root extract) enhance brightness and even skin tone.
- Zinc and Vitamin C are both naturally anti-inflammatory reduce acne and soothe the skin.
- The flowy, translucent, “instantly perfecting” lightweight cream events out complexion, but does not cover freckles!
- It won Allure’s Best of Beauty, as well as received press from Refinery 29, Goop, TeenVogue, Byrdie, Into The Gloss, Good Housekeeping, and Glamour.
- Dew Skin is a TINTED MOISTURIZER; it IS my moisturizer. I let the Dew Skin settle into my skin for a few minutes before jumping into my make-up routine, that way I am always protected by the SPF!
- The ultimate no-makeup makeup that helps you be your best self!
And as always, Beautycounter triple tests for safety – ingredient source, in packaging, and subsequent batch tests! I don’t know any other brand on the market that committed to our health.
*Bonus: these are two of the top 3 anti-aging ingredients I recommend below, with SPF to protect against UV damage!
GET DEW SKIN IN FLAWLESS IN 5, my six must-have cleaner cosmetics at 20% off PLUS a FREE Retractable Foundation Brush (save $72)
Are you still using traditional make-up brands? I really didn’t want to give up my beloved department store products either. I thought if I protected the base layer, I could keep using makeup that may have harmful ingredients. However, when I did my research the facts were: makeup can be more harmful for our health than the skincare you put on directly.
Why? I detailed my findings (with scientific references) on Why Cleaner Cosmetics Matter, but the short story is – the particles we breath in or eat have a higher absorption than those coming through the skin, which serves as a protective barrier. From nano particles and heavy metals to hormone disrupting chemicals and carcinogenic toxins, they’ve found it all in modern makeup.
STACY’S FAVORITE DISCOUNTED CLEANER COSMETIC MAKE-UP BUNDLE
Since Dew Skin has so many benefits, I want everyone to wear and love it – which means I’m always on the hunt for the best deal for you. Enter: the current promo for Flawless in 5 (a way to get Dew Skin discounted).
Friends, these are 6 high-performance clean-ingredient safer cosmetic items bundled together for a perfect, nay, flawless, bundled set. When you buy the bundle, you get 20% off. PLUS, today (9/17) through September 27th you’ll also get a free Foundation brush, a $72 savings. This will add to your cart automatically – and you CAN gift certificates from us or BoB credits!
Switching to safer isn’t cheap, and I LOVE helping you save money. So let me be the first to tell you: THIS is the best quality, most affordable, tested for safety, cosmetics I can find. Plus, with a 60 day no-questions-asked return policy, what do you have to lose?!
WHAT EXACTLY IS “FLAWLESS IN 5”
Flawless in 5 is a bundled collection of makeup items you can customize to your preference. I’ve worn these products nearly every day for years, it’s so simple, quick, and easy that I often do it in the car!
You can choose:
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF or Tint Skin Foundation (I wear Dew Skin No. 1 and Tint Skin in Linen)
- Concealer Pen (I wear Fair)
- Satin Blush (I like Date for a bronzed glow and Nectar, which is most popular)
- Either a Brow Pencil or Brow Gel (I wear Gel in Light)
- Mascara! You can choose either Lengthening or, what I wear, Volumizing Mascara. I also use Collagen Lash Primer
- lastly, Lip Gloss of your choice – one of my favorite Beautycounter items! Try Bare or Blush Shimmer, Buff, Rosewood, Dahlia or Azalea.
Wanna see me put it on? Check out this quick video I did!
Wanna see the options visually and a color chart to match your complexion? CHECK OUT THE NEW BLOG POST I DID ON FLAWLESS IN FIVE HERE.
Not sure what colors to get? E-mail me (just reply to this), or use the Facebook Group to help you figure it out. This is a good map for selecting, too – always go darker for Tint or Dew Skin and lighter for concealer to lighten and brighten under the eyes.
I hope you will love Dew Skin in Flawless in Five as much as me, and I KNOW it will save you a TON of money, since now it’s 20% off + a GWP Promo!
DON’T FORGET BAND OF BEAUTY
If you do purchase Flawless in Five I also suggest getting a Band of Beauty membership (just click that link and add to cart). This is a customer loyalty program, like Amazon Prime, and will you ever be auto-shipped anything.
For $29 annually you get 10% back in product credit on every order, free shipping on orders over $100, and a free gift. For September 2019 the gift is one of my FAVORITE products, the best-selling Overnight Resurfacing Peel. That means you get $15 back on a Flawless in 5 set, save $6.95 on shipping, and get the $63 peel free.
Seriously, it’s a crazy good deal this month! I actually make less money if you get BoB, but it’s such a great deal I always encourage people to get it because I want you to save as much as possible!
If you got Flawless in 5 + Band of Beauty, you’d spend $179 (before taxes) for a $271.95 value! That’s 34% off, more than my consultant discount!
WHY I STOPPED WEARING POWDER FOUNDATIONS
Lately, people frequently ask which powder foundation I recommend. I used to ONLY wear powder foundation. I was obsessed. Even after switching to Beautycounter I still couldn’t let go. But then last year I did extensive research and learned that inhaled powders and ingested products are absorbed much more than thru the skin . A study found Cadmium absorbed at .5% through the skin, but 60% internally. Nearly all makeup contains heavy metals, especially natural brands, since metals are in organic matter! The only way to know is to TEST. This is why I use Beautycounter; they test source ingredients, finished products, and batch test over time.
As someone with autoimmune and MTHFR, I cannot handle any additional toxins.
Some common ones found in makeup are:
- ARSENIC: absorbed through inhalation and ingestion. Causes birth defects, and is a carcinogen: lung, skin, liver, bladder, and kidneys, GI damage, severe vomiting, diarrhea, death.
- LEAD: absorbed through inhalation and ingestion. Causes anemia, hypertension, kidney damage, miscarriages, disruption of nervous systems, brain damage, infertility, intellectual disorders.
- CADMIUM: absorbed through inhalation, ingestion and absorption through the skin. Causes anemia, birth defects, impairment of pulmonary function, renal dysfunction, bone changes, liver damage (hepatotoxicity), kidney damage (nephrotoxicity), iron deficiency, oxidative stress.
Now, think about those things being absorbed ONE HUNDRED & TWENTY times worse than skincare! Finding quality cleaner cosmetics that perform like your beloved brand names is tough, but Beautycounter is LEGIT! It’s worn on the red carpet, featured multiple times on the Today show, and wins awards by Allure, Cosmo, etc.
[read more and get sources in my Why Cleaner Cosmetics Matter post]
Not to mention, powders are drying, which means they age the skin! So… my answer? I recommend Dew Skin + Concealer from Flawless in 5, and as you transition away from powder and get used to a wetter formula use the Mattifying Powder to give your skin the texture you love!
MORE ABOUT THE PEEL AND MENOPAUSE
Did you listen to this week’s The Paleo View, all on peri- and full menopause? Read the notes and listen on the web here or download and listen in your favorite podcast app (like iTunes).
We walk through the science of why and how the body changes, symptoms to recognize, and lifestyle changes you can make to support your health. Good news: lifestyle changes such as diet (shocker: more vegetables are a good thing) have been shown to significantly improve symptoms! Focus on nutrient sufficiency with Vitamins E, C, B12, D, B6, and A. I recommend Vital Proteins Beef Liver Pills!
And, for a change on the podcast, I dive into the science of skin health as we age. Specifically I explore how environmental factors (like sun damage) as well as collagen breaking down as we age.
The the 3 ingredients in anti-aging products that best support your skin health as that happens:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA), using a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid in it is going to help maintain the moisture in your skin
- Hydroxy Acids, like AHA/BHA, have been widely-studied as an excellent anti-aging ingredient because of the natural exfoliation properties that increase cellular regeneration (and also help with acne for younger individuals)
- Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant needed for your body’s own collagen synthesis
And there’s one product that has all of these which I cannot recommend enough: the Overnight Resurfacing Peel. Sarah even used it with her regular skincare routine of other branded products and loved it within the first week. It’s a great winter item as well, with the AHA/BHA exfoliating dead/dry skin, then the HA allowing moisture to be more readily absorbed.
And y’all, it’s FREE this month if you’re not yet a Band of Beauty member!
I personally use this 3-4x/week in the evenings. I wash and tone my skin, apply the exfoliating peel (it will not actually peel your skin off, just gently exfoliate it with botanical acids), let sit for 5-10 minutes, and then pat in the Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm for a hydrating overnight mask (you can use any night time moisturizer of your choice).