Don’t miss the end of the post, where we’re giving away a copy of Juli’s new cookbook!
If you don’t know about Juli from PaleOMG you are definitely in the minority. Juli has been a huge driving force in the paleo movement for as long as I can remember. While her blog is not filled with scientific references and complex articles, it is filled with absolutely hysterical rants that almost anyone can identify with. Juli is incredibly open about her paleo lifestyle – including what she does that is not necessarily paleo (yes, indeed, we are all human and focus on what works for us as individuals) but also the changes in her life in the years her blog has been around, like being a single lady to someone who is now blissfully engaged.
What I love about her 3rd cookbook is that it reflects all of these aspects of herself!
I mean come on, how could you not want to try a recipe from this woman and imagine having a [raunchy] tea party with her?! I think the subtitle of Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook being “over 100 gluten-free recipes to help you shine from within” is pretty apt to what you’ll find inside her newest cookbook. The recipes are bright and Juli’s charm and wit will surely help your face light up.
I recall when Juli was working with Primal Palate last year to develop and photograph these recipes, there were a couple that even today I remember thinking “Oh, that looks good; I want to try that!” One of them was the below breakfast pizzas, which has varying topping choices and all include an egg-on-top. If you know anything about food photos on social media, you probably don’t need me to tell you how popular the “put an egg on it” movement is right now. Let’s just say, these breakfast pizzas with an egg on top do NOT disappoint!
But the recipe that the boys got all loud and squealy about when we were paging through the book was this creative masterpiece that Juli generously allowed us to share with you today – her Mini Cinnamon Pancake Bake. It’s like french toast met bread pudding, without any of the grains! Brunch is my favorite meal and this dish is worthy of any special occasion you might have cause to serve it for. My birthday is in a couple weeks, wink wink nudge nudge Matthew!
- 1/2 C coconut flour
- 1/2 C tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 C Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil, for greasing the pan
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, honey and vanilla extract. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until smooth.
- Grease a large saute pan or griddle pan with ghee and place it over medium heat. Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop, pour the batter onto the pan, cooking three or four 2 inch pancakes at a time. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles begin to for in the batter then flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the pancakes are fluffy and cooked through in the center. Remove from the pan and set aside, then repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes topped with maple syrup. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to two days or in the freezer for one week and thaw them before reheating in the pan.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, butter, or ghee for greasing the pan
- 1 batch Mini Cinnamon Pancakes
- 1 C full fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp granulated maple sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup for serving
- Grease a small baking dish (such as a 8-inch square baking dish or 9 by 5-inch small loaf pan) with coconut oil. Layer the pancakes in rows.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Pour the mixture over the pancakes, then press the pancakes down into the mixture to help them soak up the liquid.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the egg mixture has completely set in the middle and is no longer jiggly.
- While the pancake mixture is baking, make the topping. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, maple sugar, and cinnamon.
- Use a knife or spoon to spread the topping mixture on top of the pancake bake. If it is still rather warm, the topping mixture will melt. If it doesn't, place the pan back in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes until the topping mixture has melted.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup.
I realize it’s the season of there-are-so-many-fantastic-paleo-cookbooks-that-have-just-come-out and not everyone can afford them all, so let me tell you what we found unique and interesting about this book so that you can decide if it’s right for you. Juli has brought her personality into the book, if you love a sense of humor, candidness, and pretty things – you will like this book.
Juli also highlights other recipes that you “might like” if you’re looking at one. Sometimes it’s items that have been paired together in photos, or others it’s identifying flavor profiles or cooking techniques. It’s like Juli’s brought Pinterest into the cookbook right onto the recipe page, how smart!
Yes, Wesley is actually licking his lips at the idea of this recipe!
And last, but not least, is the aesthetics of the book. Like the pretty, shiny things you’ll find Juli wearing, the recipes also become pretty, shiny things. But paleo cookbooks have no shortage of gorgeous, well-lit food photography; what’s different about Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook? The numerous, gorgeous full page spreads! I can’t recall a paleo cookbook that has focused as much on just looking at pretty things for the sake of looking at them. And boy does it whet the appetite! As a cookbook author that has had to painstaking select one single photo to represent each recipe in printed books, I have so much respect for the approach Juli took into making this cookbook just as much of a visual exploration as it will be in the flavors you will cook from it. As you can see, the kids love the full page photo spreads as much as we do ♥
Ready to get your hands on a copy of this book? PERFECT! Because we are giving one lucky reader a chance to win!
This book is ranked as the ‘Number 1 New Release in Paleo Cookbooks’ on Amazon and is available 44% off, for the low price of $19.61. Be sure to pick up a copy of this awesome book while it is on sale here!