As a working mother, my time is limited in the mornings. I’m lucky if I get to sit down and enjoy breakfast at the table one day a week. Our family makes a lot of fritatas, hard boiled eggs and almond flour muffins but these little guys are a tasty surprise that will add something special to your morning.
We prefer to make these with nitrate-free apple chicken sausage inside muffin liners but we’ve adored them with buffalo cranberry and buffalo bourbon fennel sausage, too; we haven’t specified in this recipe because we’re sure they’d be good with hot pork sausage or whatever protein you’d like to add. We especially love them wrapped in bacon, as Girl Gone Primal invented. Ours are made on the weekend, packaged into individual containers and they’re ready to grab on any weekday morning. Normally I’d call them To-Go Egg Cups, but the boys have named them Lady Gaga’s Egg Cups (they have no idea how apt and inappropriate this is). I can’t quite figure out the reason, other than they love Lady Gaga and they love these eggs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced (green preferred)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 nitrate-free sausages, diced
- 9 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Olive Oil spray
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- Heat a saute pan, add 1/2 T olive oil. Over medium heat, saute sausage. Remove sausage from pan.
- Add remaining olive oil, apple and onion. While cooking, add cumin and cinnamon. Once softened (about 10 minutes), remove from heat and let cool.
- Coat muffin cups with olive oil; add several spinach leaves to muffin cups. Add sausage. Add apples and onions. Add more spinach. Fill nearly to top with egg mixture.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, waiting for the egg to brown slightly around the top edge.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge and warm before eating.