We are celebrating 10 years of safer beauty and health protective laws with Beautycounter this March Fo(u)rth! In my almost seven years with Beautycounter, it has been incredible to see the progress not only within the company, but also in laws we’ve been advocating for (and we’re not done yet)! I’m excited to share with you below the past, present, and future of the work we’re been doing. Before we get to that, I want to share how we’re celebrating YOU and giving back.
Celebrating 10 Years of Safer Beauty: Giving Back on March 4!
While there will be deals all month long, the best ones are happening right now! On March 4, Beautycounter will be donating 1% of all proceeds to Breast Cancer Prevention Partners (BCPP) AND I’m matching those donation. Plus, March 4-10, we’re making switching to safer beauty even better with two free gifts with purchase and a year of VIP perks for only $10 when you join or renew Band of Beauty.
Our Safer Beauty Products Tell A Story
We are a certified B corps and go above and beyond in testing. Recently, we updated our “Never List” of more then 2,800 questionable or harmful chemicals that we never use as ingredients in our products. We also abide by 12 safety standards that Beautycounter and our manufacturing partners must adhere to:
And the proof is in our products! Our hero products over the years tell our story and eveolution of better and safer beauty:
- 2013: Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipstick, and all color cosmetics, are screened for heavy metal contaminants – Beautycounter is the only brand on the market testing every batch for safety!
- 2014: Dew Skin‘s breakthrough for mineral-based SPF delivers sheer pigment without white-cast or chemical filters.
- 2015: Beyond Gloss shows the business going beyond performance, and safety – using sustainable, fair trade, and audited vanilla and mica.
- 2016: Charcoal Facial Mask debuted better packaging to ensure safe formulas stay clean.
- 2017: Countermatch uses an airless pump for preserving plant-based formula that inhibits bacterial growth.
- 2018: Overnight Resurfacing Peel sustainable glass bottles are sourced in the US, reducing carbon footprint.
- 2019: Countertime is first EWG-verified anti-aging line to use Retinatural, a scientifically tested safer alternative to Retinol.
- 2020: All Bright C Serum takes 2 years and 200 iterations of testing to find safer and stable forms of Vitamin C that are proven effective.
- 2021: Glow First Priming Serum showcases that our makeup IS skincare with clinical benefits.
- 2022: All Bright Triple Acid AHA Toner expands our Brightening line with innovative probiotic-rich kombucha and niacinamide.
- 2023: Reflect Effect creates a customizable approach to next level skincare, taking us into the future of what’s to come for better beauty.
Plus, starting in 2021 we debuted PCR materials started offer offering refills for The Clean Deo, Body Wash, Conditioner, Shampoo, Body Lotion, and our Cheeky Clean Cream Blush, with more options in the works!
Marching Forth for Safer Beauty
I have always loved Beautycounter products, but the advocacy piece is what persuaded me to join as a consultant and what has kept me around! Two years ago we celebrated 8 years of Beautycounter and my 5th anniversary as a clean beauty advocate, and I reflected all opportunities joining Beautycounter has afforded me! Then last year, for Beautycounter’s 9th year, I shared about going from from working FOR DC to marching ON DC! We also celebrated 11 Clean Beauty Laws passed over those years:
This year, all of the hard work we all put in – the phone calls, the letters, the marching, the push to updated legislation – paid off! The Modernization of Cosmetics Regulation Act (MoCRA) was passed, making it the first Federal law to update personal care products in any way since 1938. I deep dive into the regulation timeline, what it covers, how it affects you, and the work we still need to do here. I also had the honor of chatting with Lindsay Dahl, who has been on the front lines of this, on a special bonus episode of my podcast, The Whole View. You can even watch the conversation on my YouTube channel if you prefer!
Beautycounter just published their Advocacy Update: 2022 Recap and 2023 Outlook and while there is a lot to celebrate, there is still work to be done. How can you be a part of our mission?
- If you’re in the U.S.: Text BETTERBEAUTY to 52886 to contact your Members of Congress! Urge them to pass laws that require full ingredient and manufacturing transparency. And, ban the use of harmful chemicals in personal-care products.
- If you’re in Canada: Visit P2A.CO/JMJ9POG to urge your Members of Parliament to support CEPA modernization and make transparent labeling a priority.
- A resident of Washington state?: Text TOXICFREECOSMETICS to 52886 to contact your lawmakers. Urge them to support the Non-Toxic Cosmetics Act. This act will ban some of the worst offenders, including formaldehyde, mercury, and PFAS from cosmetics.
- Join our mission-driven purpose as a better beauty ambassador! Reach out to learn more, I’d love to march forth beside you!
Getting Safer Beauty into the Hands of Everyone: Beautycounter x Ulta
Did you hear? Beautycounter is now available at Ulta Beauty. Beautycounter exists to raise up beauty! Joining forces with the nation’s largest beauty retailer (which is Ulta) is a significant step forward in achieving our purpose to get safer products into the hands of EVERYONE.
I’m actualy super excited about this partnership. We’re entering a new era with beauty that’s beyond clean. We’re talking safer, seriously effective, and more sustainably designed products–now at Ulta! I recently dug in deep to make Ulta’s Truly Clean & Green Shopping List so that if you go to check out Beautycounter’s in-store options, you’ll have a handy guide of all the other items to check out!
Let’s raise up beauty together, for everyone.
You can keep up each week on Instagram and our newsletters.
Never want to miss a better beauty post, sale, or deal? Join my Healthy Inside & Out email list for more info on non-toxic living and safer skincare!