Welcome to Strong Woman Radio, a sanctuary free of testosterone (except for a few special guests), where ladies who like to lift heavy things can chitchat about the struggles and success that comes with being a woman in a male dominated sport. We welcome listeners of all sports, be it strongman, Crossfit, olympic lifting or more; but be warned we don’t like running very much unless we are carrying or dragging something heavy while we do it.
DON’T FORGET TO download, subscribe to and listen to the previous episodes! And as you get familiar with the show, leave those reviews and ratings in iTunes, and send us your questions and comments via the comment form, which can be found here.
Enjoy the show and lift on ladies!
Episode 53: Stacy’s Feelin’ Good
- Intro (0:00)
- Latest & Greatest (1:16)
- Stacy finally had her MRI! She has an L4 and L5 herniated discs, one of which is compressing one of her nerves down her right leg.
- The problem has been that Stacy hasn’t been in as much pain as other people, so doctors may not have been as convinced of the seriousness of her condition at the time.
- But when she went to get the treatment that morning, she was feeling almost completely better, so she declined the procedure.
- She’s started taking supplements and feels much better and hopes to not ever need surgery.
- The injury has fundamentally changed who she is since she hasn’t been able to lift. And even if she recovers completely, she worries if she’ll ever feel that lifting is safe. (There’s lots of people who have, however)
- Ironically, she didn’t injure herself doing Strongman at all, but doing MAS wrestling and at a garden clean up.
- Stacy is definitely off to do some yoga and aerial and inversions to try to help her back!
- Listen to the last Paleo View for more details on her injury and her associate depression.
- Pokemon Go! (14:14)
- Viv is way into Pokemon Go!
- It’s a perfect way to encourage people to walk and get some exercise. (Secretly, Stacy is actually now into Pokemon since our recording)
- Stacy prefers swimming.
- Vivian talks about running these days to regain some athleticism that has gone into lifting.
- While Stacy doesn’t love running, she does love to do burpees to get that same exhausted feeling
- Viv’s trainer Jason ended up in his first real competition and won every event.
- Women seem to love strongman as soon as they realize they can do the events, especially stones.
- Supplement discussion
- Vivian is still trying to decide if she wants to cut weight from Super Heavyweight to Heavyweight
- Vivian is trying to date
- In chatting with men online, they’ll see her lifting and get excited… until she tells them how much she is lifting
- Men seem to be intimidated by a woman who can lift more than them. And all the Strongmen seem to be taken.
- Men also seem to be into being macho with her when she’d like to be treated like a girl sometimes.
- Stacy will be on vacation at the end of July (SUPER SECRET for the boys)
- Vivian will be finding pokemon and trying to find dudes.
- Send Stacy videos on not lifting strength endeavors!
- Outro (39:09)