Welcome to Strong Woman Radio, a sanctuary free of testosterone (except for a few special guests), where ladies who like to lift heavy things can chitchat about the struggles and success that comes with being a woman in a male dominated sport. We welcome listeners of all sports, be it strongman, Crossfit, olympic lifting or more; but be warned we don’t like running very much unless we are carrying or dragging something heavy while we do it.
DON’T FORGET TO download, subscribe to and listen to the previous episodes! And as you get familiar with the show, leave those reviews and ratings in iTunes, and send us your questions and comments via the comment form, which can be found here.
Enjoy the show and lift on ladies!
Episode 51, How to Train When You Don’t Have an Implement
- Intro (0:00)
- Latest & Greatest (1:16)
- Welcome back Stacy! She’s back from vacation with her sisters and dad!
- She visited her relatives on her dad’s mom’s side. And they’re pig farmers! How interesting!
- Stacy saw a Contiki tour bus, reminding her of Viv’s trip.
- Super long flight back, wrecking her body and her jet lag is intense.
- Stacy would have returned to Strongman at Crossfit Burke this week, but the trip wiped her out. Instead, she attended a seminar with Calle Beck.
- Vivian is training for United States Strongman Nationals! (7:01)
- She hates everything.
- Up until the competition starts, Vivian is always unhappy. Which is the opposite of all other times.
- Let’s talk about Vivian’s preparations! (8:57)
- She’s lifting intense every day now and extremely tired, but after her week off before the competition she’ll be anxious to lift heavy again!
- You’re much less likely to have a bad day after that rest.
- She’s very excited to compete because there are over 300 competitors coming, including 8 Superheavyweight Women!
- How do you train if you don’t have the implements? (10:57)
- This competition, she’s doing Fingal Fingers (essentially flipping a giant telephone pole).
- She improvised by turning a yoke into a finger.
- Viv should put this on YouTube!
- Look for similar events you can train. A Conan’s Wheel is a Zercher hold Farmers’ Carry!
- If you can, you’d want to visit the gym where the competition is and train on your actual competition equipment!
- You can substitute almost anything for anything, really, with creativity.
- Work with what you have and just feel yourself getting stronger!
- Vivian is looking forward to hanging out with her friends!
- Former guests Meg Squats and Sarah did a couple of YouTube videos about strongman! (and there’s shoutouts to both Stacy and Vivian!)
- Meg was pretending she didn’t know Strongman and Stacy was like “But I met you at a Strongman competition!”
- It’s a great fun video to watch!
- The week before a big competition, Vivian isn’t fun to be around
- She’s in her head about all the negative possibilities
- But when the competition starts, she already will know how she can work it out.
- Vivian feels like she has something to lose now, since she’s the defending champion
- And the competition is stiffer this year, so she doesn’t know how it will go this year.
- Viv’s looking forward to the bourbon and fun later, after the competition.
- We promise we won’t skip for a month, but we’re off next week
- Vivian is going to be in Louisville next week! Check out her Instagram!
- Outro (23:50)