Welcome to Strong Woman Radio, a sanctuary free of testosterone (except for a few special guests), where ladies who like to lift heavy things can chitchat about the struggles and success that comes with being a woman in a male dominated sport. We welcome listeners of all sports, be it strongman, Crossfit, olympic lifting or more; but be warned we don’t like running very much unless we are carrying or dragging something heavy while we do it.
DON’T FORGET TO download, subscribe to and listen to the previous episodes! And as you get familiar with the show, leave those reviews and ratings in iTunes, and send us your questions and comments via the comment form, which can be found here.
Enjoy the show and lift on ladies!
Episode 40, Making Gains
- Intro (0:00)
- Latest & Greatest (1:16)
- Vivian has a case of the feels because she just started her new training program and is tired
- Stacy has a case of the feels because she has been listening to Adele’s new album a lot
- What is Happening on the Internet (2:27)
- Ronda Rousey’s fight – from the weigh in to the aftermath of the results
- New York Times article on strength training and brain function
- The article on how being overweight can protect your health
- Heidi Powell making gains
- Making Gains (15:37)
- Vivian is getting smaller, but making muscle gains because her weight is staying the same, but her body is shrinking
- The role that protein plays with building muscle
- Vivian and Stacy’s Top 5 Favorite Easy Forms of Protein
- Great sources of carbs
- Potatoes (both white and sweet)
- Adding weight to the bar
- Volume versus max reps
- The role that recovery plays
- Working hard to avoid over training, you have to sleep and rest in order to build muscle
- How Stacy and Vivian structure their training schedules for gains
- Q & A (41:20)
- Thank you note from Susan
- Olivia – how to eat more, do less cardio, and work on making gains
- Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!
- Don’t listen to Adele while training
- Outro (50:31)