Today we are visited by an old friend of ours that we met at PaleoFX. Brittanie (also known by her nickname, “Bo”) from Three Diets, One Dinner was the MC for all the cooking demos, so we saw her quite a bit when watching the likes of PaleOMG, Civilized Caveman, Primal Palate, and Against All Grain present their recipes. Then, when it was her turn, her presentation featuring her adorable son making this completely delicious pecan butter blew us away.
Later that evening we dined with Brittanie at the farm-to-table dinner, and insisted that we had to feature it (and her) on our site! Of all the new people we met that weekend, we found Brittanie to be the nicest and most gracious of them all and sincerely encourage you to check out her unique blog where she prepares paleo meals for her non-paleo family. Since she’s an Austin, TX native, we look forward to seeing her at PaleoFX each year!
When asked to present a recipe at this year’s PaleoFX Conference in Austin, I knew exactly which recipe to make. Who doesn’t like Chicken Fried Steak? And when you come to Texas, it’s a “destination meal.” If you are in Austin for PFX this year, I’ll be teaching this demo on Saturday, April 12 at 10:00am on the cooking stage!
This recipe deserves an award. I hesitated for months on making this recipe because I thought there was no way I could make it right. With the help of my husband, I did it. I made the perfect paleo chicken fried steak.
If you don’t want to buy a whole bag of arrowroot starch, you can buy a small amount from the bulk section of your grocery store. I would start with the gravy for this recipe. It reheats well and that way you can serve your steak warm!
- 1 1/2 pounds cube steak
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worchestershire
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat
- Crack eggs into a shallow bowl and scramble with the worchestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Pulse together the macadamia nuts and pistachios in a food processor until fine. When it starts to clump together, add arrowroot starch and remaining spices. Pulse until incorporated. Pour mixture into another shallow bowl and break up the clumps with your fingers.
- Heat oil and bacon fat in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Dip the cube steak into the egg bowl, then the nut muxture, coating well.
- Fry in the hot oil 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side. Serve with Cream Gravy, recipe below.
This is an unbelievably tasty and simple gravy recipe that you might want to drink. I highly recommend using your cast iron skillet for this recipe, that way you can get some great seasoned flavor in there.
- 2-3 Tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1 half-can (5.3 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt bacon fat in your cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add arrowroot starch and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in coconut milk and cook another minute. Add salt and pepper. Keep warm for serving.
Connect with Bo!
Bo is writing a cookbook! “It’s Paleo, Y’all: Real Food from the South” has a variety of Southern culinary styles including Tex-Mex, barbeque, Cajun and Gulf Coast-inspired seafood. It will be available very soon!