You might remember that a little while back, we reviewed Irena’s book, Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook, and shared some adorable pictures of our boys enjoying her recipe for Chia Banana Porridge. Our favorite part of the book is the unique ingredients and flavor combinations, stemming from her influence of Australian culture. Where else are you going to find Kangaroo Jerky?! Of course, Irena provides alternative ideas for these unique ingredients. Today she is back to share another recipe from her book for Zucchini & Bacon Fritters with Onion Relish! We think it’s perfect for Sunday Brunch!
For those of you who have never been to Australia, know this – we take our cafe breakfasts very seriously. From elaborate and hipster coffee concoctions to crab cakes with watercress and perfectly poached egg – we get fancy! We love to catch up with friends on weekend mornings and everyone has their favourite joint and their favourite cafe breakfast dish. I love fritters and savoury pancakes and that’s why when I was developing recipes for my Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook, I wanted to include something that reminded me of a fancy Australian cafe breakfast.
Cooking notes: Tapioca flour can be replaced with fine almond meal, chestnut flour or potato starch. Coconut flour can also be used but it will absorb more liquid, which might result in slightly drier fritters. You can use the leftover onion relish with grilled lamb or beefsteaks, or to fold into a frittata mixture. Leftover zucchini and carrot peel can be used for a master vegetable stock.
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, finely diced
- 2/3 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 rashers of bacon, diced and trimmed from excess fat
- Ghee for cooking
- 2 medium green zucchinis, grated (discard the middle with seeds)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 chopped green onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2/3 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- For the relish, heat olive oil in a medium frying pan or a saucepan to hot but not sizzling. Add onion, chili and salt and turn the heat down to low–medium. Sauté onion for 4–5 minutes, then add the rest of ingredients. Mix through and cook for 15 minutes until softened and caramelized.
- Pan-fry bacon pieces in a little ghee or excess fat from the bacon until crispy. Remove to a plate with paper towel to drain some of the fat off.
- In a large bowl, mix the rest of the fritters ingredients with crispy bacon into a thick, moist batter. Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan. Using a cup or a large serving spoon, scoop the batter mixture as individual patties and gently place in the hot coconut oil, about 1–2cm (half an inch) apart. Fry for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown crust forms, add more coconut oil if needed.
- Serve with the onion relish and some extra green onions.
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://paleoparents.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/square.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]Eat Drink Paleo is an Australian food and lifestyle website published by Irena Macri, a digital professional turned full time kitchen goddess. My mission is to provide inspiration and tools to people who want to achieve better health and wellbeing through Paleo nutrition and lifestyle; to showcase the diversity of Paleo diet using our beautiful fresh produce and flavours inspired by many cultures and cuisines; and to help unleash your magical powers in the kitchen.[/author_info] [/author]